Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser redirection

• Please log in to reply

adummi

adummi

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4. Today I clicked a link on a Google search for capcan.org and was apparently redirected. There was a black screen, on top of which was a window with the following (incomplete) message:

"System Warning
There were errors during security setting restore!...System has detected spyware infection!...Click OK to download antispyware tool."

I noticed the url I was now on was http/_/lvhook.biz.

I clicked Firefox's "Go back one page button" and ran a Malwarebytes scan, which found nothing. My HJT log also looked the same as it did a couple weeks ago when I last checked it, so I don't think anything nasty made its way on my computer.

My question is how does one report to a website that clicking its link causes redirection to a malicious site?

Thanks for any advice.

edited to kill auto-link

Edited by adummi, 20 March 2009 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's nothing wrong with the capcan.org link if you type it into Google and then click on it to go to that site. capcan.org leads to a "Capital Candlelighters" site for children with cancer.

Your best bet would be a quick post in the Malware forum.

adummi

adummi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Neil. I'll try that. I considered trying the capcan link again, but think I'll play it safe first.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

My question is how does one report to a website that clicking its link causes redirection to a malicious site?

Since the problem was from a link, you would need to look up the WhoIs information and report it using the information contained for reporting abuse. Hopefully, that info will be accurate, but not necessarily so.

Alternatives like Malware Patrol may or may not work. I haven't used it so can't verify the usefulness.