Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy Question

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I don't have any problems!!!!

I'm on IE7.

Should I upgrade to IE8? I just watched the promotional videos and the new security features look ok.

If the experts on here say that I shouldn't then I won't bother.

I also notice there's a new version of MSN Messenger. I'm rather anal about downloading anything onto my computer, should I bother?

Regards

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Messenger upgrades tend to get forced in order so you can use it so whichever way you look at it you'll end up with the newer version at some point.
Essentially IE8 looks like IE7 with added nuts and bolts. Download it, run it, if you like it keep it, if not, uninstall it. Newer versions of web browsers are facts of life these days especially with Internet Explorer having more security holes than swiss cheese.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
IE 8 has much better W3C standards support, but the biggest change is that IE8 has two main rendering modes - a standards-compliant mode and an "IE7-compatible" mode. The standards mode is turned on by default. There's a Compatibility View button next to the address bar that lets users instantly switch to IE7 mode in case they come across a broken page usually ones designed for IE6.

If you design web pages, use this:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
There are no less than 6 rendering modes in IE8, allowing you to specify IE7 Quirks or Standards modes explicitly, as well as insist on IE8 Standards mode. You can also detect which mode IE8 is in by using JavaScript or conditional comments.

The "IE7-compatible" mode isn't quite as compatible as it should be so problems will still exist.

Security may be better, but as with all popular browsers, it will not take long to be a target. Even Firefox has its problems as it becomes more popular.

I would recommend upgrading for those that use IE.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Thanks for your replies, I shall upgrade both as part of my weekly Saturday maintenance.

Kind regards