Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

stop error 0x000000a

• Please log in to reply

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So far today I've noticed that AutoCAD, Google Earth and Linksys Easylink Advisor are not working. All of these were opened at the time the PC originally crashed. Also, I've noticed my speakers are not working. Not sure what happened to them yet. I ran the Checkit Diagnostics and it checks out fine, but still no sound and I've checked all connections and even removed the sound card and reinstalled it to make sure it was making good contact. Any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...
be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Edited by happyrock, 23 March 2009 - 06:59 PM.

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Happyrock, I haven't tried chkdsk yet mainly because I haven't had the time. Once I finally got the PC up and running again, I had to get some work done. One thing I did find out though was that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 was not working and I couldn't get it repaired and apparently that was keeping AutoCAD and Linksys EasyLink Advisor from working. I downloaded the lastest Microsoft .NET Framework and right after that, both applications started working. What does chkdsk do and do you think I still need to run it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
chkdsk looks for bad sectors and repairs them if possible and marks them as bad if it can't so windows won't try to write to them anymore
its maintenance is all ...
go to windows update...get ALL the critical updates and while there look on the left side and get any hardware and software updates it says you need..

what about your speakers are not working...did you try reinstalling the driver for your sound card

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I haven't gotten to the speaker issue yet. I had to deal with the most important ones first that would get me back up and running again. This is my office PC and is critical for day-to-day business so the speakers had to be put on the back burner while I get some work done. Hopefully, I can take a look at in the next few days. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
be sure and post back with your progress...

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Happyrock, I tried the rc.iso disk and it started booting fine from it at first and as it's loading files it suddenly stops and goes to a BSOD with a 0x0000007e pci.sys error. I tried the standard chkdsk from "my computer" and it ran and found no bad sectors. I've also tried to do a repair from my Dell Reinstallation CD but when it gets to the screen that has three options (enter, R or F3) the keyboard does not work and will not allow me to make any choices. I have to turn it off and reboot. Strange, because the keyboard works fine when it first boots off of the CD and it says "hit any key to boot from CD". What should I try next? Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is it a wireless keyboard...can you try a usb or PS/2 style keyboard

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It is a wired USB keyboard.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
borrow and try with a PS/2 style keyboard..

Advertisements

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have another machine that has a PS/2 keyboard, but this machine does not have PS/2 connectors. I assume I'll need to get a PS/2 to USB convertor?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't bother...if you don't have the old style connectors then it would be the same as using the usb keyboard anyway

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure what you were thinking the problem might be. The keyboard works fine on everthing else.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try to reinstall the drivers for the sound card yet...
are you still getting any blue screens since the NET FRAMEWORK update...

mccarter

mccarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did install an update for the sound card that Microsoft Update recommended, but the speakers still don't work. I haven't tried much else yet for the speakers. I did get a BSOD over the weekend and it gave a 0x00000024 code which led me to try and run chkdsk from the CD that didn't work. I then ran chkdsk from "my computer" which did work, but said there were no errors with the drive. Does running it from the bootable CD do anything different? So far today, I haven't had any BSOD's.