Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost IE Access

• Please log in to reply

Rob57

Rob57

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I did the stupid and unchecked the "COMMUNICATIONS" box in Windows Components and now cannot connect to the Internet, via my ATT DSL modem. Called ATT free support and because I'm receiving a Microsoft notification, yah know the one that requires you to respond by selecting "SEND" or "DON'T SEND" the operating system error to MS, they recommended I call in the ATT home service team, or the Geek Squad and then I found you folks!. I have a 10 year old computer, stop laughing, utilizing Windows 98SE. My first thought was just insert the original WIN98SE disk to reload the files, but forgot to realize that only IE5 would be reloaded. My next step was to download the IE6SETUP.EXE file, from my work computer. I downloaded the file and things seemd to be going OK, until I had to select the intall, RECOMMENDED, or CUSTOM. If I select either I receive the "IE6WZD" error and can't proceed further. The computer seems to work OK except for not being able to connect to the internet. Bye for now, Rob (Cleveland, OH) :)

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
You need to reinstall the "COMMUNICATIONS" components that you removed to be able to connect to the internet. Similarly, you can't run IE6SETUP.EXE to install IE6 without an internet connection. The download for IE6SETUP.EXE is only 480kb and when run contacts a Microsoft server for the rest of the setup files based on your computer's configuration.

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi Leurgy,
Thanks for your reply!
I have downloaded the IE6SETUP.EXE from another computer and loaded it onto my Internet disabled computers desktop, but when I try to run the installation wizard it only goes so far and then gives me the error message IE6WZD. If I run in Safe Mode, I can get through the process OK but it tells me that "The most recent versions of all items are already installed. It is recommended that you exit Setup without reinstaling." If I try to sign-on to SBC Yahoo from the Safe Mode I do not receive the error message, but after attempting to "Sign In" a box opens stating, "Unable to connect to the server, Please check your connections before trying again." I realize that once I gain acces to the Internet I will have to run the Windows update funtion to download the additional updated files. I believe that my SBC equipment is working OK, after talking with the tech support people at SBC Yahoo. They were concerned about having the four lights lit on their Seimens Speadstream 4100 modem. ope this information helps create a better picture for this issue I'm dealing with.
Bye for now and please keep those ideas coming. :)

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I suppose the easiest way to correct this would be to do a restore of the configuration you had before you made the change detailed in your first post. You can do this by running scanreg /restore from a Safe Mode Command Prompt. When you do this you will be presented with a number of Restore Points arranged by date. If possible, pick one immediately prior to when you made these changes but not the older ones if that can be avoided as picking the oldest one deletes all those in between. Instructions for running scanreg can be found in How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/ Me Registry

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Leurgy,
I was able to folow your recommendation, but the restore dates, limited to five, all fall within the time period that I've had this problem. Any chance that I can access older restore dates, say about two weeks or so, since that's when I lost my IE access? :)
Thanks as always!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Unfortunately the default is five restore points and as a new one is created the oldest one is deleted. There's two things we can try though.

Go back to the add/remove windows components where you removed "Communications" and recheck all the components and add those back. You'll need the 98 cd for this.

If that doesn't work, go to the Control Panel, double click System and ensure that your Network Adapter is showing as properly installed.

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good Morning Leurgy,
Thanks for your patience and continuing flow of ideas!
I had re-checked those boxes, including the "Communications" box in "Windows Setup" after I lost IE access. I believe that is when I was instructed to install my original Windows 98SE disk to reinstall all the missing files. Unfortunately, this is also when IE5 was re-loaded.
Your next idea about looking into "System Properties", under the "Device Manager" tab is an area I suspect may be the cause of at least some of my problems. I do not remember having six listings under the "Network adapters icon. The listing includes:
"Dial-Up Adapters"
"Dial-up Adapter #2 [VPN Support]"
"Extranet Access Client Adapter"
"Linksys LNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet Adapter"
"Microsoft PPP over ATM Adapter"
"Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter"
I think the only one that should be there is:
"Linksys LNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet Adapter". I remember the ATT Support person wanting to make sure this specific adapter was present.
Since I got myself into trouble before, I'll wait for you reply as to whether I should "Remove" all but the Linksys.
P.S I don't believe that it's a cable connection/configuration problem since I'm using the cable that typicaly goes into my non-working computer to plug into this old laptop I'm using to communicate with you.
Thanks!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Well the linksys is probably the network adapter you use.

Go to Start and click on Run and type in Command and click ok. In the box that opens type in the following:

ping www.google.com

Do you get a reply?

I don't think the fact you have IE5 is the problem as it should work regardless. Its possible to download IE6 SP1 and put it on a cd if you want to do that though. Instructions for that are here.

Another possibility is to run the 98 setup and overwrite your installation or you can also do a clean install but lets not go there yet.

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Leurgy,
I hope I followed your instructions correctly. I typed "Command" into the "Run" box and it took me to the black DOS Command Prompt screen. I typed in C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>pingwww.google.com and it came back with "Bad Ccommand or file name. I then tried C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ping www.google.com and after several seconds and alot of blinking lights from the modem, the reply was "Unknown host www.google.com", so I guess I would say I got a reply, but I suspect it wasn't what you were expecting.
Regarding you next idea, I have downloaded the IE6SETUP.EXE file from another computer and loaded it onto my Internet disabled computer's desktop, but when I try to run the installation wizard it only goes so far and then gives me the error message "IE6WZD". If I run in Safe Mode, I can get through the process OK but it tells me that "The most recent versions of all items are already installed. It is recommended that you exit Setup without reinstaling." If I try to sign-on to SBC Yahoo from the Safe Mode I do not receive the error message, but after attempting to "Sign In" a box opens stating, "Unable to connect to the server, Please check your connections before trying again."
Although you said that the Linksys is probably the right adapter listed in the "Device Manager" you did not comment on whether I should "Remove" the other five listed. Doesn't it matter, or couldn't there be a conflict created by having the others listed, just a novice thought?
Just a note, some of the error messages that pop-up are:
"YOP"
"YBROWSER"
"WUCRTUPD"
Thanks again!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Ok, the fact that you can't ping indicates that your not connecting to the net. Can you go to Start then Run and try winipconfig and report back with the results of that? While that's open you can try clicking Release and then Renew and see if you can connect then.

Running IE6SETUP.EXE on the 98 machine won't work as you have no internet access. I mentioned that earlier so I hope we're clear on that now. If you run it on a machine that does have access, and follow the instructions in that link, you can download the full setup and burn it to a cd. IE6SETUP.EXE is not the full setup. It merely connects to the net (which you can't do on that pc) and downloads the setup files. If you do have a cd from AT&t you can browse that and you may find the full setup files for IE on that.

YBROWSER and YOP are IE Yahoo addons typically installed when you run the setup cd from an internet provider. Uninstall anything Yahoo from add/remove programs to stop those errors.

Having those other adapters listed *shouldn't* matter but there's no harm in removing them.

Advertisements

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Luergy,
I'm back at it again and thanks for your patience!
OK, I tried to run the "winipconfig" in the "Run" box and the came up with the following:
"Cannot find the file 'winipconfig' [or one of its components] make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available"
I do have the AT&T Yahoo installation disk. I ran the installation until it came back that "no modem found" :)
I searched and found a IE6SETUP file on the AT&T Yahoo Installation disk, so I ran it, now I have an new Internet Exploer icon on my desktop, but I can't see that it is an IE6, by opening up properties, like I can with the one listed when I click the "Start" key. When I open properties from the new IE icon, it opens up the "Internet Properties" box with the seven tabs across the top and I can't see anything that would give me a clue that it is IE6. Soooo, I clicked it and the "Microsoft Internet Explorer box opened that asks if you want to "Send Error Report", or "Don't Send"
I found two files in the add/remove progams properties, but have not removed them as yet:
"SBC Self Support Tool"
"SBC Yahoo! Application"
OK, I getting tired and pissed-off, so it's time to call it a day.
BYe for now!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry about that. My 98 machine is down right now so I'm working from memory but the correct command is winipcfg. Try that from the Run box. If it doesn't work from there run Command from the Run box and try it there.

If you open IE and go to the menu at that top and click Help and then About Internet Explorer it will give you your version of IE.

Open the Internet Properties box. What do you see in the Dial Up and Virtual Private Networking box under the connections tab? You can safely remove anything listed there as you are using a hispeed DSL connection. Above that box click Setup and run that wizard. You will choose Connect to the Internet, Setup my connection manually and Connect using a broadband connection and follow through from there.

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Leurgy,
When I ran "winipcfg" from the "Run" box it did opened up "IP Configuration" and in the drop-down box was listed "PPP Adapter". The "Adapter Address" is "44-45-53-54-00-00", the "IP address 0.0.0.0, "Subnet Mask" 0.0.0.0, "Default Gateway" no entry. Other listing in the drop-down are:
"LinksysLNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet", "Adapter Address", "00-12-17-5B-44-38", IP Autoconfiguration Address" , "169.254.142.62", Subnet Mask", 255.255.0.0". I tried the "Release All" and 'Renew All" and although the modem "Activity" light blinked a few times, nothing else happened. I re-booted and still no Internet access.
The new IE icon, on my desktop, creatd by running the AT&T installation disk, is IE6 "Verson: 6.0.2800.106IC". When I tried to open it up a AT&T "Self Support Tool" opened up. The message is "The AT&T Support Tool is verifying email and network settings. Please wait..." . This message did not update and its been awhile so I'm not sure what its doing, if anything.
In the "Internet Properties", under "Connections" is listed "MSN (Default)". I "Removed" it, but the "Setup" button is not highlighted, but the "Add" and "LAN Settings" buttons are. The "Never dial a connection" was originally selected, but not highlighted now.
Thanks!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

The message is "The AT&T Support Tool is verifying email and network settings. Please wait..." . This message did not update and its been awhile so I'm not sure what its doing, if anything.

This is the Support Tool trying to connect to the net which isn't happening.

I think you can safely remove everything listed in device manager except the LinksysLNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet adapter.

I am assuming you are logging in with your AT&T username and password when you attempt to connect to the net. You only have a modem and there is no router involved?

In Control Panel, open Network Properties and tell me what is listed there.

You can try powering down the modem and the pc and then turning on the modem, letting the indicator lights settle down and then turning on the pc and attempting to connect.

Rob57

Rob57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Morning Leurgy,
OK, removed all but "Linksys LNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet Adapter" from "Network Adapters", in "Device Manager", "System Properties".
In "Control Panel", "Network", included the following listings:
"Linksys LNE100TX[v5] Fast Ethernet Adapter"
"NOC Extranet Access Client Protocal"
"TCP/IP[Home]"
Note: After re-booting and opening "Network" message opens stating, "Your network is not complete. Do you want to continue?"
Note: The "Network" icon on the desktop has disappeared.
When I try to access the Internet by opening the "SBC Yahoo DSL" icon, from my desktop the "Sign In" screen appears, as normal, but the "Ybrowser" message opens, stating, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." If I select "Close" the SBC Yahoo sign in dis-appears. followed by the error message, "Wucrtupd", "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".
Note: If I try to open the new IE6 icon, listed on my desktop, the Microsoft Internet Explorer message appears, the 'Send Error Report", "Don't Send" followed by the page, "The page cannot be displayed".
Note: The firt time I attempted to access the Internet, via the desktop icon, alot of modem "Activity" lights were blinking.
Thank loads!