Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply

Karl89

Karl89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey guys,

Today, my (averagely) new PC experienced his first Blue Screen Of Death. It's strange because it actually on stayed on the screen for a fraction of a second, only on my SECOND screen (I have 2 monitors running) then automatically restarted. It happened right after I opened someone's MSN window and started typing.. I doubt it's the cause though.

Since I'm worried about my computer's well being (as without it, I'd be in big trouble for college and work), I'd like to see if any of you fellas can help me "diagnose" it for issues?

I know I'll probably be asked to run an anti-virus, but it's really discouraging because it takes HOURS to finish and I can't leave it on overnight because when and if it does find an issue, it stops scanning until I tell it what to do.. which is dull. It's Avast Pro by the way.

So, any clues, hints? Please? :)

Thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties....Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery... click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK your way out...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect. ...now when it blue screens tell us whats on the screen we will have a clue to whats happening

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks there happyrock!

If it BSOD's again, I'll let you know. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

you could download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed relies on the Windows Debugging Package (WinDbg) from Microsoft. If this is not installed, WhoCrashed will download and extract this package automatically for you. ....then click Analyze ...l
Copy and paste the results into your next reply...

Edited by happyrock, 21 March 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

you could download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://&lt;a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank"&gt;http://www.resplende...exe&#60;/a&#62;"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed relies on the Windows Debugging Package (WinDbg) from Microsoft. If this is not installed, WhoCrashed will download and extract this package automatically for you. ....then click Analyze ...l
Copy and paste the results into your next reply...

I've downloaded that, and after downloading something from Windows it asked me to download, I click on "Analyze" (there is no "next" button) but nothing happens.. A window quickly opens but then closes rapidly.. nothing else. D:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no need to quote my reply..it just slows me down...
my screenshot will explain what to do...

Edited by happyrock, 22 March 2009 - 07:34 AM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks..

On Sat 21/03/2009 3:35:39 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFADF9A4135C0, 0xFFFFFADF9A413610, 0xC5050003)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Right click My Computer... click Manage... and then click Device Manager.
do you have any yellow ! or ? any red X's...if so get a screenshot for me...
no...then click on the + beside event viewer..in the drop down menu... click on each of them and look for any warnings or errors..
only go back about a week or so...

Edited by happyrock, 22 March 2009 - 07:25 PM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yellow!

Attached Thumbnails

• wya.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug anything connected by usb...reboot...
tell us what you unplugged...
check the Device Manager again...

Edited by happyrock, 23 March 2009 - 06:40 AM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I unplugged my webcam, printer and Wacom tablet.

Attached Thumbnails

• yellow.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
any blue screens after disconnecting those...
if not...try plugging in one and then use your system for awhile...no crash ..try another...if / when you do crash its the driver for the last thing you plugged in that's causing the grief...
you still have something plugged in...like a game controller...usb wireless mouse

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I haven't had any blue screens after the first one, so I can't really tell..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
post back if it crashes again...