Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 keeps booting in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

bssc81

bssc81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few weeks ago, for some reason, my computer started up as usual, but after the Windows 98 screen shows up, the screen immediately goes blank and the computer restarts again. Naturally, because it didn't restart properly the previous time, it offers me the option if I want to start in safe mode. I go into safe mode, and everything is as normal in safe mode. Then I'll shut down or restart, and the same thing happens again. I've scanned the internet for all the potential issues and nothing has worked so far (for example, I've tried scanreg /restore but that none of the old files, which are all several years old, seem to work). Therefore, the computer perpetually starts in safe mode.

This happened once before, but I shut the computer down for a few days, and it started as normal again. This time, I'm not so lucky and it's never fixed itself. If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this problem, that would be great. I have tried a lot of different things but clearly I'm missing the key one. Something must be happening during startup because it clearly goes blank right on the Windows 98 loading screen.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by bssc81, 21 March 2009 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
When you start in safe mode minimal drivers are loaded and some are not loaded at all. I would suspect in your case you have a driver or hardware issue involving your internal modem, network or video card. At least those are the three items I would look at first. Try booting without any peripherals attached such as a printer. If you do have a printer and have the drivers it would be a simple test to disconnect it and uninstall it from 98.

More information on the configuration of your pc would help to diagnose the problem. Belarc Advisor will give a report on your system that can be posted here as an attachment.