Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office Pro 2003 hangs/freezes

• Please log in to reply

ghostorchids

ghostorchids

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So my Office Pro 2003 has all of the sudden decided it wants to hang-up/freeze when I either start the program (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) or double-click a file for a specific Office program.

Regardless of what program I am starting I simply get a blank template with an hourglass and it (whatever program I am attempting to open) immediately goes to the dreaded "Not Responding". I have tried to let the program sit for a while, but nothing happens. I have also tried to kill the program process in Task Manager, but that does not yield any tangible results either. What I am left with is rebooting... very frustrating. I am not sure what is causing this: if there is another process that is causing my problem, maybe a Microsoft Update or if it is Office itself.

I have run AVG Anti-Virus, EMSI A-Squared, Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition and Windows Defender and all seems to be "OK" - no viruses, malware, etc. Furthermore, I am running SP2 for Office Pro 2003, and have been prior to this problem set. I am going to attempt to download SP3 and give that a shot (crossing fingers) after I set a restore point.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

minorityresort

minorityresort

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My office has similar (if not the same) issues. I first noticed it in Office 2003, but now I have upgraded to Office 2007 and the problem persists.

I am pretty confident my computer has no viruses, as it exhibits no abnormal activity and Adaware searches come up with nothing.

The only things I can add are that starting any program in safe mode OR opening winword with the extension /a (which removes add-ons) will allow it to start quickly. Opening files still doesn't work, but I have noticed that if I wait about 10-15 minutes, the file eventually opens. I am pretty confident my computer has no viruses, as it exhibits no abnormal activity and Adaware searches come up with nothing.

Hope this helps someone, I will continue to try to find ways around the problem.

ghostorchids

ghostorchids

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
minority,

I recently updated my Office Pro to SP3 and it seems to have fixed my original problem. There is still some hang time when opening an Office program (Word, Excel, etc.) but it is not the eternally long hang time I was experiencing before. Not sure what Service Packs are available for Office '07 but if there are any I would update as soon as you can to try an curb your problem -- after setting a restore point, of course.

minorityresort

minorityresort

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, it turns out I figured it out afterall.

It was Symantec AppCore Service, which I disabled when I thought it was a piece of my norton trial version which had expired. This service was disabled, and needed to be started and set to automatic. Now everything runs just as it should, although 2007 seems a bit slower than 03. I might just go back to 03 anyway, now that the problem is gone. Thanks for starting this thread, I'm not sure I would have figured it out without it...