Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asking for some clarification, and recommendations...

• Please log in to reply

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...concerning Norton Internet Security. Both of my computers had Norton Internet Security bundled in their software. Since Norton was highly regarded for a long time, I kept it and have been running it and keeping it updated, etc. Also, I've been running Spybot and try to keep it updated. However, in more recent years, I've been hearing increasing less-than-favorable comments about Norton (including one or two right here). And I've been reading some of the malware posts with some of the recommendations for AV and anti-spyware programs, and come to find out that Spybot is not as good as it once was, either. So I'm beginning to wonder: Would I be better off dumping the Norton in favor of another AV program (I DID pay attention to where it says you should not have more than one AV program installed at one time!), and should I dump the Spybot as well, or can I supplement it with other anti-malware programs?

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
As a test Remove Norton from 1 PC in Add/remove........also download Norton Removal Tool (Google for this)...run that and restart the PC

There are some free AV like AvastHome and AVG which you can download one of them

I think your PC will run faster then

Edited by Bonk, 21 March 2009 - 09:25 AM.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

As a test Remove Norton from 1 PC in Add/remove........also download Norton Removal Tool (Google for this)...run that and restart the PC

There are some free AV like AvastHome and AVG which you can download one of them

I think your PC will run faster then

Hi,

Take a look at the link for Free Antivirus and Antispyware Tools in my sig - this will give you information on what G2G recommends :)

Brian

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just wanted to add to your "Spybot Question".

Apparently, Spybot and Adaware used to be the awesome one, two combo. Now the new dynamic duo is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super Anti-Spyware which can be found in my signature.

A good Anti-Virus is the first and foremost though, like recommended by Brian and Bonk.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
...ok. Thanx for the responses. I'd been using the Norton for the last three years (since I bought my laptop) with no apparent problems (I emphasize 'apparent'), but I've been hearing a lot of negative 'buzz' about Norton...and I'd been using Spybot S&D for even longer. Ironically, I just found a G2G review of the 2009 edition of Norton Internet Security that suggests that Norton have addressed the issues that so many people had with their software (i. e. 'bloat', resource hog, etc.). But the 2009 edition appears to be pricier than the previous ones (unless they have some sort of 'special' for users of previous editions), so I will most likely let my subscription expire next month and replace it with one of your recommendations. If one of the free choices works as well or better than the Norton, it seems silly not to use one of them. Apparently, Norton is notoriously difficult to remove, but you folks offer help with that, too. Some here have also suggested that Spybot S&D is also difficult to remove, but that is perhaps less of an issue, because unlike anti-virus programs, some anti-malware programs can peacefully coexist with and even complement each other. Now, I see there seems to be a consensus that Avast! and AVG are the best choices for free anti-virus software (although some issues with AVG appear to have cropped up recently), so after removing the Norton I will go with one of those, and look into the MBAM and Super Anti-Spyware to replace and/or supplement the Spybot...
...thanx again. I think I like it here already...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Zed, I like it here too.

It doesn't hurt to give the free ones a try, and I want to add that they wouldn't be recommended by a lot of the staff here if they weren't any good. We have an entire Malware Staff here and also Geek U which is a Malware Training School, so they take what security programs they recommend pretty seriously.

From what I have seen staff recommend it seems (IN GENERAL) AVG, AVAST!, Avira for the Anti-Virus (Only should have one) and then to add to that Malwarebytes, and Super Anti-Spyware for extra protection. However, like everything in life, opinions vary among all of them. But again, generally speaking, those seems the most highly recommended/popular.

I have heard some problems with AVG 8.5 as of late too, I use AVG 8.0 and I have never had a problem. You may want to do some more research if you decide to try AVG.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You can have more than one anti-spyware program, as long as they're not all offering real-time protection. The free versions of MBAM and Superantispyware are on-demand acanners, not real-time protection. Spybot is also an on-demand scanner, unless you have Teatimer enabled. Overall, I think MBAM and SAS are better abled to detect today's infections, so having one or both of those and running them on a regular basis should help keep you clean.