Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with upgrading

• Please log in to reply

Ankou

Ankou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Awesome ill definately have a look into that

sorry to dissapoint but i wont be doing it atm it is 7am here and i havent slept yet so me being the worried sort of guy when it comes to computers i dont want my sleepiness to be the cause of any screw ups :)

but ill definately have a look into this so ill prob talk to you again tomorrow night? :)

cya man, good night (day or whatever time it is there) :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Its right smack dab in the middle of the afternoon here, but yeah we will keep up, even if it is a day in between each reply, no worries.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I forgot, many of these cards come with adapters so a regular power connector (Molex) will plug into the adapter that then becomes the 6pin power connector for the card.

Look at this picture for you card. HERE

What this means is, that you don't necissarily have to have a power supply with that connector, which then means you may beable to save some money and find a cheaper one. I would get one over 450Watts. Good brands are Antec, Corsair, and SeaSonic to name a few. Again, talking with someone in person at the store can help with what brand names are good.

I would also recommend not installing everything at once. For example, install the power supply, then turn the computer on, make sure it boots up and all. Then, power it down, install the graphics card, turn it on and boot up.(don't forget, you need to install drivers for the graphics card, even if XP recognizes it and installs drivers for you, use the ones that come on the cd, or go to Nvidia's website and download the most current ones) Then, power down and install the cpu, then turn it on and see how it goes,

See what I mean, this way you know which part doesn't or does work. I always do it this way when upgrading.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 March 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
HelloAnkou

Just thought i might but-in and answer what i think is an important question/statement that did not receive a direct reply/answer lol ( as a lot of the internals are electrostatic sensitive components

Quote: i still have a douvalacky thingo (cant remember the name) it goes around my wrist and a clip attaches to the PC so i cant cause static discharge

Yes that is what you are required to use... , if you cannot find that , just touch the case or screw into the case in order to ground yourself...

Best of luck! , Going well so far ! , Good job Ferrari & Ankou

Keep up the good work !!!

Anthony19

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Anthony Thanks,

I actually remembered earlier today that I needed to respond to that and I forgot again the second time :) Don't be afraid to jump in, you never know if I miss something he says, or if I recommend the wrong part or something, you never know. Online can be a bit more difficult compared to him standing right next to me at the computer store, ya know? LOL

Thanks,

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ankou,

Make sure you have read all of the posts since your last post a day ago or so. I and someone else has added some comments, just want to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Anyway,

Something else to speed up your computer temporarily is this...
Take a look at this article by Artellos. What makes your machine slow? The recommendations can really improve speed and performance. I highly recommend it.

Also, if you don't use Firefox, I highly recommend that too. You can find the download for it in my signature. After that, click on the link in my signature labled "tweak firefox". That will give you some ways on to really speed it up. Firefox is much faster than Internet Explorer. Thought I would recommend these things also since you are wanted to Game and improve speed.

Edit: And you or your girlfriend can still use Internet Explorer or whatever you currently use if you want to. You can switch between the two whenever you want, just so you know.

Edited by Ferrari, 24 March 2009 - 10:30 AM.

Ankou

Ankou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Awesome. Thanks for your help guys. Sorry i didnt get back to you guys quicker iver been off the PC so my girlfriend can use it for her studies.

After going over every thing i have found my PSU to be the small (microATX is it called?) type. I am going to go to my PC store today to see what they can do / offer in the microATX range and see if they can order in the one mentioned previously.

Also thanks for the info anthony. Its good to know what you were saying about if i cant find it (btw whats it called again? lol something like anti-static wrist something) then i can do other things to ground myself. :) glad you said it cos i cant find it :)

In reply to your last post about "What makes your machine slow" Im looking at the link now. Also I use firefox and my gf uses IE. She hates firefox with a passion and i just as much hate IE :)

Well anyway ill get this ball rolling and see how things turn out after i go to my local PC store today. Ill keep you informed about whats happening :)

Thank you again

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sounds good,

Whichever MicroATX or (uATX) Power Supply you get, just try to get a name brand if you can, if nothing seems to pop out as a good name brand, make sure at least don't go too cheap on it. PSU are pretty important and you want to have the correct wattage, enough wattage I mean.

Good luck, like I said before. You should have plenty of information now to make a well informed decision.

Good Luck! Let us know how it all goes.

Ankou

Ankou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
alright ive just gone down to my local PC store.

they have 2 PSU's im looking at. 1: 550 W Elixer ($70) or 2: 600 W Ion ($120) apparently the $70 one will work ><
they dont have any good microATX PSU's so i will be changing my case to: Xclio Godspeed case
ill be getting the 9600 GT (dunno how good exactly it is but its alot cheaper)
and also they cant get the E7500 .. only the E7400 ..

I havent got the parts yet i was wondering if you can help me some more and tell me what one of the 2 PSU's u would choose, if this is a decent case (will i need extra cooling?) ,you said the E7500 was compatable.. does that make the E7400 compatable too? and also is the 9600GT any good or would i be wasting money and should go for the 9800GTX?

sorry to be a bother ><

Thank you again

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
E7400 Wolfdale is pretty much identical, and is actually the one I was going to recommend, but the 7500 was a bit faster...2.93ghz compared to 2.8ghz so you are good to go there. (I was going off your high budget of $500-$600 when making that decision)

To answer your question about the processor in short

you said the E7500 was compatable.. does that make the E7400 compatable too?

yes, your motherboards specs that I gave you the link to specifically say that any 7xxx series Wolfdale Processor will work. So you know, they have a 1066 FSB which is pretty fast, not to mention it has 2 cores, so its like 2 processors in one, those processors aren't too much under what I'm going to use for my new build I'm working out right now. (I'm using the E8400.) The 7400 is a nice processor, and you should be very happy with it, IT IS THE HIGHEST YOUR BOARD SUPPORTS since you can't get the 7500.

XCLIO Godspeed Cases is a Micro ATX motherboard compatible Case so you are good to go there. I actually have looked at this case for myself before, and I like it. I would think a case like this would have plenty of room for a graphics card too.

To answer your question about the cooling,

if this is a decent case (will i need extra cooling?)

Not really, your PSU will probably have a fan that blows air out the back, and this case that I have linked to which I believe is the same you are talking about has 2 80mm top fans (heat rises, so thats good) and 2 180mm side fans (which you can have blow are directly onto the motherboard and graphics card, or have them blow hot air out) that is controversial, I prefer side fans to blow onto the motherboard, not out. Your cooling should be pretty good to go, you may want to add a fan in the back if you look at the pictures, that will blow hot air out(YOU HAVE TO GET THE HOT AIR OUT) Furthermore, this case will have tons of extra cooling compared to the standard one you have now, so you are ok

9600 GT's This is a good graphics card too, at one time it used to be one of the best, and that wasn't that long ago. However, is the card your looking at 1gb or 512mb or what? Generally speaking, the things to look at is the mb's or gb's, the bits i.e 128bit or 256bit and how many stream processors, i.e. 64, 128, etc. On all of these categories, and many other ones for graphics cards, the higher the numbers the bettter. So for example, a 1gb 256bit card that has 64 stream processors is much better than the one that is 512mb 128bit with 64 stream processors. So, you may want to look at that. Ordering from newegg.com can be pretty fast, and you get exactly what you want. Or any other online store really. Newegg is the best in my opinion. Not sure how it is with Australia and all though.

The 9800GTX is better, sorry if I give long answers. Just trying to be thorough.

PSU... I don't like either one of them because I never have heard of them and they are not on the list I provided below at the very bottom, notice the legend for what is good and what is not. Even that Athena one I would consider bad now that I have looked at the list. Your case should fit a ATX or Micro ATX, which ATX is better, more common. Has the same screw holes to mount but it is bigger, but if you are getting a bigger case that will be OK. I strongly suggest you buy at least the power supply from on line, or another store that has a name brand one, Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, CoolerMaster. If you don't have a stong enough PSU, then your computer may not boot and in some cases it will actually blow and ruin other parts if not all in your computer if it is not strong enough.

With that said, make sure the PSU is what you have in the case,(not your old one) when you try to fire up with the new processor because that is 30 Watts higher than your original processor, same with your graphics card.

By the way, the 9600 GT's I have looked at online still require about a 450 Watt PSU, that hasn't changed.

and also is the 9600GT any good or would i be wasting money and should go for the 9800GTX?

I would buy everything online as there is more of a selection and you get exactly what you want. If you can find out more information about the card like is it just a x16 or is it a x16 2.0? Also what is the mb or gb on it? Bits? 128bit, 256bit? etc.

You did the right thing by now buying anything yet, be patient, this will be better for you.

I know this is a lot of information, be sure to re read where you feel necessary. I have provided several links and documentation for you to make a good decision, but it would be good to clear things through me on here first before you buy anything.

Good Luck

H = High Quality (Good Solid Reliable Brand)
L = Low Quality (Cheap Generic)
M = Medium Quality (In-between)
U = Unknown

A-Power................L
A-Top..................L
A+GPB..................L
AcBel..................L
AC Ryan (Ryanpower)....L
Aerocool...............U
AG.....................L
Ahanix.................L
Akasa..................L
Allied.................L
Antec..................M/H
AOpen..................L
APC....................L
Apex Allied............L
Aspire.................L/M
Astec..................L
Athena.................L
BFG....................L
Broadway Gaming........U
Channel Well...........L
CHAS...................L
Chenbro................U
Chieftec...............L
Coba...................L
Codegen................L
Conrad.................M
CoolerMaster...........H
CoolMax................M
Crystal................L
Dell...................L
Delta..................L
Diablo.................L
Eagle..................L
Echo Star..............L
Enermax................H
Engleking..............M
Enlight................M
Epson..................L
FDK....................L
Fortron (FSP)..........H
Gateway................L
Gazelle Multimedia.....L
Global Marketing.......L
GPower.................L
Guardian...............L
Herolchi...............M
Hipro..................L
HP/Compaq..............L
HPC International......L
Huntkey................L
I-Star.................L
IBM Redundant..........U (expensive)
Intel Redundant........U (expensive)
In Win.................L
Jaguar.................U
Jantech…………..L
Kensington.............L
Kingwin................L
L&C....................L
Leadman................L
Levicom................L
LiteOn.................U
Logisys................U
Mad Dog................L/M
Maxtron................L
MGE....................L
MGE Vortec.............M
MorningStar............L
NEC....................L
Newton.................L
Nexus..................L
Noise Magic............L
NorthQ.................M
Nspire.................L
OCZ....................H
Omega..................L
Packard Bell...........L
PC Power & Cooling.....H
PC-World (PCW).........L
PCMCIS.................U
Power..................L
PowerStream............L
PowerTek...............L
PowerUp................L
PowMax.................L
PowMax XPower..........L
Premium................L
Pyramid................L
Q-Tec..................L
Q-Technology...........L
RaidMax................U
Real Power.............L
Rosewill...............L
SCS....................L
SeaSonic...............H
Shuttle................L
Silent Purepower.......U
SilenX.................L
Silverstone............H
Sky Hawk (Eagle Tech)..L
Sparkle................H
Star Micronics.........L
StarTech...............L
Sun....................L
SuperFlower............L
Supermicro.............L
Tagan..................H
Task...................L
ThermalTake............M
Topower................L
Tri-Mag................L
TSP....................L
Tyan Tiger.............L
TTGI...................L
Ultra-Power Computer...L
Ultra..................M
Ultra X-Connect........L
Vantec.................H
Verax..................H
Vigor..................U
Xion...................L
xPCgear................L
Zalman.................H
Zippy..................L

Edited by Ferrari, 24 March 2009 - 08:15 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
P.S. The processor you are getting comes with a heatsink and fan, so you will want to use that one. It will be much better than what your already have.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:)