Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer turns black but contiunes to run

• Please log in to reply

pandasrus

pandasrus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i recently tryed building a computer and i am not having one of the problems listed (cpu= amd phenom II X940 quad core 3.0ghz, fox con digitallife A79-s mobo, 2 sticks of 2 gig Amp ddr2 1066mhz memory, WD 750GB hardrive, 600 watt coolmaster PSU and some random cd drives i had extra. now the problem i am getting is i will have my computer on for o say 2-5 mins installing windows, or running memtest, and the computer will randomly turn completly black and not restart on its own(computer is still running) however i hold the power shut it off, turn back on and computer does same steps

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go,
I was just scrolling through and saw your post. I'm sorry it has been so long My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be able to help you

Hi i recently tryed building a computer and i am not having one of the problems listed (cpu= amd phenom II X940 quad core 3.0ghz, fox con digitallife A79-s mobo, 2 sticks of 2 gig Amp ddr2 1066mhz memory, WD 750GB hardrive, 600 watt coolmaster PSU and some random cd drives i had extra. now the problem i am getting is i will have my computer on for o say 2-5 mins installing windows, or running memtest, and the computer will randomly turn completly black and not restart on its own(computer is still running) however i hold the power shut it off, turn back on and computer does same steps

When you built the system did you purchase a retail version of the CPU or an OEM? Do you have OEM cooler, or aftermarket? did you use thermal paste if there wasn't any already on the CPU?

Is the CPU hot to the touch right before it shuts down, to the point where you can't touch it?

Is the ram seated correctly in the ports. When running memtest did it report errors for the time it was running?

Check ALL connections make sure they aren't loose.
I would remove 1 module of ram (the one farthest from the CPU)
Also remove all but 1 cd\dvd drive
Are you using onboard video?
Then try and reboot

Try this and see where it takes you and get back to me,
Now that I'm working with you I can see when you replied back so you won't get lost again.

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard