Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't login to wireless WEP network

• Please log in to reply

evanguy

evanguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I am pretty good with computers, however I am horribly new to wireless networking and I can't figure out this problem of mine.

I just got a Linksys WRT54G v3.0 wireless router the other day and I tampered with it all day yesterday. I have my wired connections all ready to go (those being my desktop comp and my xbox 360), but I can't get my laptop to connect wirelessly.

I set up a 128 bit WEP connection (my laptop's built in wireless card doesn't support WPA) and I set it up to G-band only and obtained the 26 digit key. I changed the SSID from "linksys" and made sure the proper SSID was entered into my laptop.

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A10) finds my wireless connection with ease on the list of many possible connections (I'm in an apartment building), but when I click connect and put in the key, it never connects. It displays the trying to connect screen, but nothing ever happens. It tries to connect for about 1 minute, and then nothing.

Can anyone lend a helping hand with this one?! I have a feeling I missed something stupid. :)

Advertisements