Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp task-bar

• Please log in to reply

rocketscience

rocketscience

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello there, i seem to have a problem with my windows, it isn't serious but it's annoying.
Every once in a while, my task-bar wich is the windows xp default one, blue with a green start button, turns it's appearance into the windows 98 grey coloured one.
Can you please help me out in fixing this problem? :)

EDIT:
That wich i described above happened yesterday.
Today, while i was playing a game, it happened again, only this time the task-bar change was permanently, it remained as the win 98 style one. Besides that, my desktop backround chaged aswell, turning into a simple blue one.
I undid those changes by re-sestting the appearance options for my windows.
I have the avast anti-virus so i thought i would be good to do a boot-scan, wich i did. It found a worm, Win32:Confi [Wrm], in "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\01EFS56V\arrc[1].jpg" . After avast completed the boot-scan, i entered windows normally, but now a set of errors popped right after my desktop appeared.
They were something like : windows has shut down the program generic host for win 32 services for some reason (cant remember wich).

Can you please help me out? :)

EDIT #2 :
A avast warning just popped up saying the following:
Malware was found!
file name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\86.scr
malware name: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]
malware type: rootkit
VPS version : 090321-0, 03/21/2009

later this day, same warning, diffrent name of the virus "C:\WINDOWS\System32\x" ; "C:\WINDOWS\system32\52.scr"

I deleted it.
Could i install Comodo too, next to my avast? Would that be an improvement? Could they both run at the same time with no conflicts?

Still waiting for a reply. :)

Edited by rocketscience, 22 March 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sorry for the delay, we get a little busy sometimes. Anyhow,

It is possible that you may have a Malware issue. Malware advice can only be given by Staff Members and such subjects can only be discussed in the Malware Forums. START HERE...and post a new topic stating your problems HERE (No where else). When you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Staff, if you are still having problems, come back to This topic. Someone will be more than happy to assist you.