Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I make 1 particular folder on my computer private?

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have 1 folder on my computer that I want to make private. I want it inaccessible to anyone but myself. I know about setting up user id's etc., but don't want to do that as I'm the only one, usually, that uses my computers. I just want this one folder to be private. I want Windows to ask for a password to open this one particular folder.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Take a look at this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306531

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Interesting....... but how can I do it without compressing the folder beforehand?

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
disregard........ I followed the instructions and have the folder compressed and the individual files password protected. Just wish there was a way to enter the password and open the whole folder, instead of having to enter the password for each individual file.