Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not fully booting up in XP

• Please log in to reply

cloroxmartini

cloroxmartini

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
The system seems like it wants to boot up, and the XP screen comes on with the scroll bar for less than a second, then it shuts down and restarts.

The bios screen appears each time. I can F11 and get to the screen that has boot options, but each time the XP scroll shows up for the same fraction of a second then the system shuts down and restarts.

Each time the MSI Core Cell screen comes up before all this. It's a Gateway AMD 64 3400 on MSI board.

UPDATE: I was able to get to the Gateway System Recovery Screen and the hard drive is being partitioned for recovery.

Still, the question is how can something like this happen. What elements do I need to address? Batteries? Virus?

Edited by cloroxmartini, 21 March 2009 - 03:13 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo,
Hope fully I can be of some help to you.

I'm going to need more info about your computer
The MOBO model number
Ram speed and capacity
HDD capacity and type Sata/ide
CD\dvd rom type sata \ide
and the power supply wattage

I'm not sure about your problem, How long has it been unstable? Had it been showing signs before this.

Did you install any new hardware or software?

Have you Overclocked your system?

Do a check of all connections:
Power both ends
20+4 power connector on the mobo
4-8 pin 12v tail on the mobo
all ide and sata interfaces both ends
power to all hdd and Cd\dvd roms
check to make sure all fans are spinning up to speed if not fix them
if any problems can't be corrected don't continue till resolved please.

For the sake of trouble shooting if you have more than 1 HDD remove the secondary slave, (the one with out the Operating system)and 1 cd\dvd rom disconnect the second one. if you have any video cards remove them unless your Mobo doesn't have onboard video, just make sure to enable onboard video before you remove your Video card I would say for right now, remove all but 1 RAM module, The one next to the CPU is the one that should be occupied.

Try to reboot if it still screws up, change the Ram modules around and try again.
if that still doesn't work
Then run Memtest 86 follow the directions on the link to create a boot CD or floppy. Run the test for at least 5 passes on 1 Ram module, if you come up with no errors, then switch the ram modules and repeat the test. After both test are complete, Place the other Ram module in the second slot and run the test again with the same specs. If that test comes up negative then the problem doesn't lie with your ram.

Post your results in your next reply, +\- errors what works and what doesn't

good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 27 March 2009 - 02:36 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard