Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformatting external hard drive from NTFS to Fat32

• Please log in to reply

lourider

lourider

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I need some help reformatting my WD 500 gig external hard drive to fat32. Turns out that Xbox 360s will only read fat32 hard drives and mine is NTFS. I am using partition magic but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Whenever I try to create the partition in Fat32 it only uses about half the hard drive and says the rest is unallocated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
There is a limitation to the size of the partition seen by FAT32. I may have some of the wording wrong, but I believe it is the cluster size that limits it.
I believe the limitation is 127 gb.

HERE is something from MS.

lourider

lourider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the help... But I was stupid and didnt think of looking on Western Digitals web site... Found out they have a utility you can download that formats the hard drive back to how it was.