Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Up Graded From 98 To Xp

• Please log in to reply

prnwck

prnwck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Since I insalled XP Home my computer will not shut down.
I get an "It is now safe to shut down" message, but when I turn the power off the normal way (power button) the computer goes into a standbye mode (green to amber on the start lite).
The olny way that I have found to completly shut down is to unplug the computer.
I have talked to some people they say they never even herd of this (my own small circle of comp. geeks). :D :D <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It'll probably turn off if you hold down the power button for longer than four seconds.

Windows XP is a terrific operating system, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. However, using the upgrade option is fraught with trouble. If you desire a fast and stable system the only option is to reformat, and install XP.

Of course, this will delete everything from your hard drive, so create backups of all your important data first, and make sure you have the original disks for any programs you'll want to reinstall. Finally, it's VERY important to run Windows update and install all critical patches. This is a huge download, but required to keep your system secure. <_<