Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet connection off and on

• Please log in to reply

zaranid

zaranid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well the title is self explanatory

My internet connection goes off and on I'm part of comcast but it really doesn't matter cause they have problems like this all the time

anyway after the hurricane our internet was fine actually it was great (I know amazing right?) anyway, in the past :) 1 and half weeks our internet connection has been off and on... now I know this is regular

Its kind of the regular stuff where it will stay on for a couple of hours and then it would turn off kk thats ok fine by me I dont mind if it goes off for like 1 minute after a couple of hours

but recently its been going off every like freaking 5 minutes or less I mean what the crap its fine If I'm not doing anything on the internet all the lights are on and everything is fine but once I get onto a game it just dies...

I called comcast and they say that its just a weak area (I'm guessing our area doesn't get a whole lot of power from them cause maybe we are far away or something but I don't think distance should really affect this)

anyway I've explained my situation now if anyone can help me that would be great
(and I've tried repairing my internet like going into control panel clicking on my internet connections then repairing it and stuff didn't help)
ANY ANY AAAAAAAANY help will be very very very nice :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I called comcast and they say that its just a weak area

How could we help then? Are they doing anything to get you the service you're paying for?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Howdy zaranid -- welcome to GTG :)

As Broni said, if it is a Comcast issue, there's really not a whole lot we can do about it. Are you connecting via wireless or wired? The next time you lose your connection, try the following steps.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - Attempt to release and renew your IP:
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands:
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renew
*Note: If the above commands generate an error, please post the error.
Step 3 - Event Log/Viewer errors/warnings:
  • Click Start, select Run, type eventvwr and press OK
  • In the new window, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!', respectively), and then copy/pasting the information from within.
    *Note: You'll mainly be looking for DHCP and TCP/IP errors/warnings.
Thanks,
- Dan