Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

At what point is buying newer technology not needed

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Note: Have had many double posts, make sure you haven't missed the one before this one.

Wanted to go back to the title of this topic. "At what point is buying newer technology not needed"

I mean, for what I use the computer for is a lower end Core 2 Quad better than a high end Core 2 Duo? I mean for somewhat that doesn't game is there any advantage or need for something like i7? See what I'm getting at?

Maybe that should be fully explored before we get to much further.

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 22 March 2009 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think the difference between a Duo and Quad wouldn't make much of a difference for your uses... Stick with the mid-range Core 2 Duo, in my opinion. Other than that, stettybet0's comments were spot-on. Make that a +2!

If you think you'd like to get into gaming down the track, or would like to give it a shot, then the 9600GSO is a basic card which should at least get some 3D games fired up, but if you want to take a serious look, get something like the 4670 or 9800GT. These are both mid-range cards.

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Great, so I have decided to go with the E8400 processor. Could someone confirm for me all my parts are compatible, I feel I have learned quite a bit over the past few months, but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Pretty sure this is what I want.

Here they are again,

Lian Li Case
More details of the actual functions and features of the case Here
Gigabyte Motherboard
E8400 Wolfdale
OCZ Memory I have noticed the new motherboard that stettybet0 had recommended, and that I now have listed, can take ddr2 1366+ memory, but I can't seem to find it on newegg. Can someone help?
Nvidia 9600 GSO
Antec PSU 550 Watt Is the wattage high enough? Thinking of going with Corsair, just heard some good comments by makai and wannabe1 about how stable and QUIET they are, either way, I think I understand how to match this to the motherboards power connector and to the case and all. Anyone comment on Corsair?
Western Digital Hard Drive
LG 22X Combo Drive

This is also from what I have previously said...

I will be adding a 2 part sound card configuration where you have a bay with sound control/remote control and all that with a mid grade sound system after the build is complete (eventually). I also would like to add a LCD digital Fan and Temp Bay, a second hard drive with a second operating system, a bay that you can access the a hard drive externally, more ram???, and probably more LOL.

Also, I will be wanting to constantly tinker with this computer. Add stuff, replace stuff, etc. It's not just going to sit there, I want it to be an ongoing project of sorts.

Thanks so much, once I get a confirmation on the compatibility, I might post back at a later date once they are bought and put together. I'm a bit unsure about installing the OS, hopefully it goes well. Thanks!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That case looks really nice - that's my style of case.

Yep everything looks good to me. The PSU has more than enough for your build - it's a good choice.

The only concern I have is the case having the PSU mount at the bottom - the fan on the PSU will be facing the bottom of the case, when you want it facing upward. However, it looks like you can turn the case PSU mount bracket around for the proper fit. Chase this up and confirm, and you have a winner.

Cheers

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks Troy, that makes me feel pretty good, it means my research is paying off.

I haven't read a whole lot about the mount for the PSU, but I have seen pictures of it taken out of the case, and that is what I plan to do, just turn the mount around. And now that I think about it, I did read something that said you can have the fan face either way you want, I believe it had talked about some may need the fan actually faced down to improve the way the design the airflow of the rest of the case (something like that).

I really like ALL of the lian li cases, they are actually given thought about why things are where they are, and have function, not just look. Anti-vibration kits, removable mobo trays, placement of psu(mounting bracket), etc, etc.

Any thoughts about the ddr2 1366+ RAM for the new board Stettybet0 recommended, I can't find that kind of RAM on Newegg.

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I can't find that as an actual type of ram anywhere. I've found one posting that says 1366 is simply overclocked 1066. Not sure if this is right, and I've never seen ram listed that way anywhere else that I can think of.

Edit: Here is what Crucial and Kingston have listed for your motherboard as supported memory.

Edited by Nimwe, 24 March 2009 - 10:26 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You will only reach 1366mhz with DDR2 by overclocking. No manufacturer sells DDR2 RAM that runs at 1366mhz out of the box. But again, RAM won't be a bottleneck in your system. You won't notice a difference between 1066mhz and 1366mhz. So, just get a set of 1066mhz DDR2 RAM that you like. (I would recommend some, but my recommendation would be based on price/performance, not on looks.)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks stettybet0,

I have decided on everything then. I will repost or start a new topic once everything is put together and if I have trouble with the OS install. I appreciate every one's answers and your time. Thanks guys!