Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

Fernbrook

Fernbrook

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys. This happened a few weeks ago and I've tried getting someone I know to help but he couldn't fix it.

What happened was my brother was playing a full-screen game and suddenly green lines appeared on the screen and the computer restarted. Once it gets to the Windows XP boot screen, the computer restarts as the scrollbar starts moving. I turned off the restart thing (so it won't restart and instead goes to a BSOD) and it says something about an unmountable boot volume. I've looked around on Google and couldn't really find anything helpful. I've tried running chkdsk but that couldn't be found. I don't have the original XP disk but I have a different one, maybe that's why?

Is there a way to fix it without having to reformat? I have some important files I need. Thanks.

Edited by Fernbrook, 21 March 2009 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
With Unmountable Boot Volume error first thing to check, is to see, if hard drive is OK.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Fernbrook

Fernbrook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was checked and is fine.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If Windows doesn't boot up you may have to do a clean install of XP. By that I mean reformat, and delete all your files. I suggest using Ubuntu and running it as a Live CD, to try to recover your files, and to put them on external media. If you want directions, post back. First download Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download
Choose 32 or 64 bit from the bottom box and choose a mirror close to you. Download 8.10.
Once downloading ill give further guidance.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Can you access BIOS, and set it back to defaults?

Fernbrook

Fernbrook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Can you access BIOS, and set it back to defaults?

Yes, but the C drive can't be accessed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What do you mean by this:

I don't have the original XP disk but I have a different one

Did you try to boot into Safe Mode?
What tool did you run to check HD?

Fernbrook

Fernbrook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ended up reinstalling Windows XP. What would be a good program to use to recover files from before the format? Mainly .docs and .txts.