Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer/File Question

• Please log in to reply

Shpongle_fan

Shpongle_fan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This question is sort of hard to put into words, but I'll try my best.

(My system: Windows XP home, sp2)

I'm looking for a way to make a "consolidated-index file shortcut" (not a real term, my best way of describing it)...

I have a bunch of media files on my 320GB external hard drive, and I also have a portable sandisk flash drive with only 8GB storage on it. So I have to be selective (due to the flash drive space) and limit the particular media files I want to take with me on the go. So I drag-and-drop individually each file that I want from the large external drive to the sandisk flash drive, but when I get back I delete most of those files I just added in order to use the sandisk space in my every day computing needs (since my local C drive is very low, and I only use the 320GB drive for backup, etc.)

Therefore, every time I need to take the sandisk on the go, I have to drag and drop all the files (which often end up being the same group of files on different days, but which are in different folder paths on the larger drive) and it gets to be time consuming and annoying.

I need a way to create like sort of a shortcut that remembers the locations of all those SELECTED files (preferably without duplicating the actual files), so that dragging and dropping that single shortcut will be the same as individually dragging and dropping all the selected files that are in different folders.

The best metaphor for this would be: If you could hold the control key and click to highlight certain files, but then open different folders and do the same while still keeping the files from the previous folders highlighted...
and then save a record (into one file) of which files have been highlighted at the end so you can use the record as a one-step drag and drop.

thanks for your help

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Why don't you create new folder on external drive, and copy all needed files into that folder?
Then, you simply copy that folder to the flash drive.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Broni,

I think he is wanting to save space so he doesn't want to copy the files. However, with that said, why don't you CUT them to whatever drive you want them permanently on and make a new folder there.

Just to be clear, you can cut or copy(whichever you want) the files to anywhere you would like and have that be the permanent home for those files. Make however many kinds of folders you want.

Am I missing something?

Edit: As in, do you know what we mean by cut, copy, and paste? I think you may be making this harder than it needs to be.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2009 - 10:36 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm talking about making separate folder on 320GB external hard drive.

Shpongle_fan

Shpongle_fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've all ready considered the option of copying, and that won't work because my 320GB drive is almost full... and about cut and paste, that's not a good option for me either, because I have a very specific organization for my files, and want them to remain in their original location, instead of re-moving the selected files from their new folder back into their original spots every time I change the group of selected files I want to have handy.

If there's a way to create shortcuts for files and folders, there has to be a way to create a sort of shortcut to an index of selected files like I have described. I appreciate your help, but this is the only way my problem will be solved. thanks