Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VGA driver conflict?

• Please log in to reply

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have win 98se loaded. Insert MSI nVIDIA GT4MX40SE-T driver CD and install win 98 driver for video card. Computer reboots and hangs up in win screen. Will boot up in safe mode and shows no driver installed-is using generic win driver and diagonistics seem to indicate a video driver/monitor incompatability problem.
Can't reload driver in safe mode off of the CD-ROM. The mobo is Epox 8RDA with nVIDIA Nforce2....could this be causing the conflict as the MSI driver is also for nVidia chipset. I've read that Maxtor HDs have a hard time working on nVidia mobo for some reason!
Maybe I should just reformat the HD and start with a clean boot. Reinstall win 98 and then use it to install full version of win XP pro which is what I had in mind to start. Just wanted to get most hardware up and running in win 98. Hope it will not hang up in XP when I load XP driver which are still for the same nVIDIA video card.
Anyone have any experience whith this kind of problem and maybe an idea how to reload the video driver in safe mode on win 98. The file is around 200 mb-too much for floppy.
Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I don't fully understand why you would use 98 to get "the hardeware up and running".

I would format and do a clean install of XP and then we can deal with harware issues if they even happen. Then install the mobo/chipset drivers, then drivers for all your cards, then a virus scaning software then go get all the MS updates.

Try this and see what happens.

Rick

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Rick,
MOBO people said board does not like win 98 thats why I got XP. I have the same idea you do that I may not have these issues with XP as OS.
I have OEM version of XP. I can not get it to boot into XP setup from CD when CD-ROM is set as primary boot device?? It tries to boot into win 98 from HD instead. Maybe set CD-ROM as boot device in all 3 choices in cmos. Maybe if HD is clean then it will have no choice?? I thought the XP CD was bootable if you set CD ROM as primary. Has a Sony DVD/CD-ROM player as master and an Aopen CD R/W as slave on secondary IDE bus.....maybe reverse the order and use cd r/w???
Boots into dos from floppy but XP setup will not run from dos while win 98 setup does. I'm thinking reformat, clean reload win 98, then full install xp Guess I could download the series of floppys from MS if I want to go with a clean install of XP if can not get XP to boot into setup from cd rom. I downloaded a single dos bootable floppy w/i386 from someones web which is supposed to allow install of xp but no go.
Thanks.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The Xp cd should be bootable if in bios you set your boot order to floppy first, cdrom second and hdd third but I am unsure of a oem version.

Don't forget to save when you exit bios after making the changes.

yes do try reversing the dvd and cdrw drives, better yet just disconnect the dvd then set jumper on the cdrw to master and try and boot from it.

I would use the hdd manufactuers program to format the drive to ntsf file system, this should be avalible for free download on the drive manufactuers website then try the above.

If no go then get the boot disks from MS.

Rick

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Rick,
Did exactly that! Unplugged dvd-rom, set cdr/w as master and the single boot disk got setup running. Rest of install slid in like an ell! Guess the dvd rom didn't like the oak driver much.
Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome,

Glad that was a easy fix, Its a known issue that certain dvd drives even just installed in a system don't like to set up windows.

Rick