Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange bug..

• Please log in to reply

Karl89

Karl89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey folks,

This started a few days ago, happened for ONE day then stopped, but it did it once tonight too:

Suddenly, for no reason I can figure out, my computer plays THE FIRST SECOND or two of the song "In The End" by Linkin' Park!

This makes no sense, it baffles me. I don't understand why it does that. Restarting my PC didn't help, and disabling sound themes either.

There seems to be no pattern, but it's always the same segment that plays; the first second or so.

Any help? I can't figure it out!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

<snip>...my computer plays... <snip>... "In The End"

I wonder if your machine is trying to tell you something! :)

This is a strange one indeed, seeing as you disabled sound schemes and it still does it. I would think the song is linked to "navigation" or something like that in sound schemes.

Does the computer actually launch a media player, or does nothing show up, and the music just plays?

If this just started happening, I recommend (rather than trying to troubleshoot it), you do a System Restore to a date before it started happening. It might be a good idea to delete the contents of your Prefetch folder also.

If you don't use ATF Cleaner, I highly recommend it. It will clean out Windows/User temp files for you... including the Prefetch folder. You can find it in my signature.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I don't think the song is linked to anything, because there is no visible pattern. I don't think it happens when I click on something or anything.

The computer doesn't launch ANYTHING.. It just plays a second or two of the first part of the song then cuts out. Sometimes once an hour, sometimes once a day, sometimes twice an hour, there's no pattern.

It started happening about a week ago. It did it for a day then for a few days stopped then it did it once again yesterday. Not today yet.

I can't do a system restore as I work on my computer a lot and I'd lose quite a lot of data.

I don't know what my Prefetch folder is.

I use CCleaner, is it the same as ATF Cleaner?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... might be spyware related, although it doesn't sound like something too malicious. You still might check it out in the Malware forum.

Prefetch is located C:\Windows\Prefetch. Basically, Windows looks at the Prefetch folder at Startup and "partially loads" or "pre-loads" everything in this folder into ram, so if you ever start up a particular app, it will launch more quickly because it is partially pre-loaded. Depending on how fast your computer is, there is little need for Prefetch entries. Some may disagree, but I don't allow Prefetching at all.

CCleaner is more powerful than ATF cleaner, in that it will also mess with the registry entries. Sometimes if the user doesn't know how to use CCleaner, they can mess up their computer. ATF cleaner is "safe" in that all it does is dump trash from the temporary folders on your machine. Apps sometimes create temp files (lots of them) during install, and even temporary internet files are stored in temp folders. Over time, these files build up, which can slow down your machine. ATF will clean them out without damage.

Download HijackThis from my signature. Run it and save a start up log. Attach the log to your next reply. Please do not paste the log... just attach it so I can download it.

Edited by makai, 22 March 2009 - 04:25 PM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Haven't done anything with CCleaner yet except wipe useless temporary data.

Here's my HJT log.

http://pastebin.com/mfb505c9

Edited by Karl89, 22 March 2009 - 07:08 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I don't see anything related to start ups that would cause this. Although there are quite a few "monitors" running, and also a few BHOs running that might be doing something. I'm not a malware expert, so I wasn't looking for any malware entries.

What you might try is... go to Start>run... type in msconfig ,click ok
Go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything NOT related to your Antivirus, or Firewall, then click OK.
You'll be required to restart your computer, and when it does, put a check mark in the message box to stop msconfig from starting up at every boot.

By the way, there are several hits on google (not for the same song) that point to some bioses playing music if it detects a PSU that might have problems. Kind of farfetched, but that info came from an MS bulletin.

I'd advise you check things out with the Malware forum just in case.