Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows starts, but can't open the user

• Please log in to reply

ssbxoxo

ssbxoxo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few hours ago my computer started throwing up anti-spyware messages telling me that changes had been made to the registry, and asking if I wanted to accept them. I thought I had said no, but either I clicked yes, or the nasty had already infected my anti-spyware thingy. The question kept popping up, even after I had asked the program to remember my decision.

Firefox kept trying to open (luckily? it had been closed with lots of tabs open, and I simply kept shutting it down with the task manager.)

After a run of MalBytesmalware, it told me I had 10 infected items, and I asked it to deal with them. MB told me to restart. I did. I had two usb drives attached to the computer, when it tried to restart it asked me to remove them (I thought, at least), I did. Further wierdness happened one the computer did restart, which I can't really tell you in detail (I started freaking at this point). I do know that it told me I couldn't use task manager as it had been disabled by admin (I am the only user/admin on the computer).

At some stage during all of this I had a message that was similar (the same?) to the one posted by DrBenway in the closed thread "Nastiest Infection I have Ever Encountered - HELP! [Closed]"

Unfortunately, however,, I can't follow the advice there as I am now unable to getd two into XP. I've tried starting windows in safe mode, but the computer seems to ignore the fact that I'm holding down the F key, and proceeds to the start page where I should choose my account. The first time or two I tried to go in it said it was logging in, then proceeded to say it was saving my settings. Now if I try to login it simply hangs.

Of course, I'm entering this information from another computer. I've tried to remember as much detail as possible.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Advertisements