Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which HD brand is best?

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

I need a new harddisk - 500GB, probably - and I'm not sure which I should buy. Most important for me is reliability and durability (a workhorse : )), then performance, then.... well, I guess that's it.

There are quite a few manufacturers out there - my friends have recommended Seagate, Western Digital, someone said Hitachi's good, others said Hitachi was rubbish and Seagate was unreliable, and now I am confused.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.

SOADA

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You will always find varying opinions on hard drives. Some people will swear by a manufacture, and then when you buy one, it turns out to be a dog! All "name brand" manufactures have problems with their hardware, so any one of them can crash at any time. I personally use Seagates in my Desktops, and Western Digital Scorpios in my laptops. One day (about a month ago), I decided to try a 600gb Western Digital for a desktop I was building, just to see how they would work out (versus Seagate). The drive installed fine, then about 5 seconds later, it refused to spin. I threw the drive in another computer, and also in a USB enclosure... and, again the drive could only spin for about 5 seconds. I ended up RMA'ing the drive and ended up buying what I thought I should have in the first place, a Seagate. Now you would think that seeing as I trust WD for my laptops, I would also use them for my desktops, but that's not the case for me.

As stated, you will get so many varying opinions, and in the end... you'll just have to make a decision. Just stay with the name brands... that's all you can do. Its trial and error all the way... with zero guarantees!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They're all as good or as bad as each other.
Same as buying a car - some Ford cars are good, some are bad. Some Jaguar cars are bad, some are good, etc.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...mostly one of those 'personal preference and experience' issues, I'd say. And something (like the old Intel vs AMD debate) that can wind up going round and round forever, with each brand having its steadfast devotees...I've heard plenty of bad things about WD drives, for example, and yet I've used several without any problems. I used to hear a lot about Maxtor drives being really problematic...but I've never used one, so I couldn't say one way or the other. I've just gone with what has worked for me, and that has happened to be the WD...and I'm certainly nowhere near an 'expert' on the matter!...

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom, people : )

I'll mull it over. Maybe just toss a coin.....

SOADA

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello S.O.A.D.A.

Just stumbled upon this , though you might like to review it yourself...

Top brands: 1 being best , as of 06-19-02

1. Seagate (models since 1998 only) Cheaply made, but getting much better. I never thought I would be putting Seagate back on the top of the list but.... Seagate now has the fewest failures of all the drives made now. They do make cheap consumer models, but they also have a much better line of drives that cost a little more. Your drive, is not the item you want to try to save a buck on!

2. IBM - Notebook and desktop drives. There are issues with electro-mechanical failures and or head crash on their high speed IDE drives 40GB or greater. The 40, 45, 60 and 75 gb drives are really starting to go bad now, especially the drives manufactured in late 2000 and all of 2001. These can go without warning, so please keep them backed up! We have been seeing a lot of the 75gb drives come in now as well as the 45's and 60's. There is a class action lawsuit ongoing about the 75gb drives. A new development.. Hitachi has recently purchased 70% of the IBM hard drive division. I can't wait to see how many of these we get in the future! ( Hitachi is known for failures). Yet another thorn in the side of the consumer! I should mention that their SCSI line of drives is a good product still.

3. Fujitsu (Desktop drives only) Their 10, 15, 20 and 30gb desktop models have been failing left and right with either servo loss or electronic failure. Notebook drives are only so-so but are no longer manufactured. They have had so many returned drives, that they have stopped making drives all together.

4. Maxtor (We are seeing more and more of these as failed) see below. You get what you pay for. Do not use these in server or business applications! If you do, keep them backed up like there is no tomorrow! These are consumer drives only!

5. Toshiba (notebook drives only). Good engineering! Generally good all the way around, but can develop bad heads in some models. As always, just keep it backed up.

6. Quantum. Has had a bad batch of drives with a defective chip incl. the Fireball™ CX,LA,LB,LC and KX series. Maxtor now owns Quantum (got them at a good price too!). We have been seeing a large number of the Quantum ASxxxx series drives come in with missing outer servo, especially the 40gb drives, similar to the problem Fujitsu has. This is an unrecoverable situation! Beware.

8. Samsung also known as Trigem in E-machines (Inexpensive, you get what you pay for!) Cheaply made, consumer use only but do a religious backup!

7. Western Digital (They still haven't learned, their drives are still failing left and right). Cheaply made. Especially the 'EB' series. The 20gb AB and EB series are horrible. Again, I urge you not to use these in business applications. These have servo problems too which are starting to surface.

Worst Models Ever: 1 being worst

1. Western Digital AC1XXX, AC2XXX and AC3XXX series except AC31000 (Prone to severe head crash).
2. Quantum Bigfoot Series (any model) Prone to many severe failures. Cheap drives that never should have been made. These were used heavily by Compaq, to keep their costs down!
3. Quantum Fireball CX,CR,LA,LB,LC,KX All have defective spin chips and will fail without warning! Quantum was bought by Maxtor 07-01.
4. Conner CFS850A and CFS1275A (Some of the most RMA'd drives of all time).
5. Hitachi Notebook drives of any kind (Almost always head crash or lose servo or suffer from misalignment) Don't use them! If you have to, backup! Used exclusively (because they got a good deal) by Dell! If you order a Dell, request a different drive or go elsewhere.
6. Fujitsu Notebook drives of any kind are prone to head crash, desktop drives are bad now too, sorry. Again, they have stopped making drives and now barely support what is left out there.
7. Samsung drives of any kind (Either head crash, or stiction (heads stick to the platters)) Cheaply manufactured.
8. Toshiba MK2103MAV and MK2101MAN 2.5" drives (Prone to severe head crash, heavily RMA'd)
9. NEC drives of any kind (Poor engineering causes many failures, no longer making desktop drives)
10. JTS any model (Prone to head crash, cheap drives, now out of business)
11. Maxtor 7850, 71336, 71260, 72004 (All had defective head stops, heads fly off platters and break off)
12. Maxtor 10GB, 20GB, 30GB any model are crashing at an alarming rate! Severe electrical problems as well. These are consumer drives at best. Back them up now! Do not use for business applications.
13. Seagate Elite 9GB SCSI (Poor engineering promotes severe head crash).
14. Seagate 32140A (Prone to severe head crash, heavily RMA'd drive).
15. Seagate 5xxx series (Prone to head crash and or broken head wires).
16. Micropolis (Almost always head crash, what else is new? They have been out of business now for 5 years).

Blatantly ripped from : http://www.driveserv...om/bestwrst.htm ( Too lazy to type it all out lol :) )

Hope this helps...

Best of luck & Happy computing

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 22 March 2009 - 08:39 PM.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
'Ello Anthony19,

This sheds a new light on things, though it is a review from 2002.
Mainly - some companies have cheaper and more expensive versions of the 'same' drive, and different product lines from the same company are not necessarily of like quality.
I remember about ten years ago when WD was almost a curse in the hardware world - I was just entering the world of computers and people were telling hair raising stories about WD drives dying after 6 months (this being preceded by the horrid 'Clicking HD Death Song'). Maybe is was a bad series? Maybe they'd even issued a recall (makes me think of Fight Club for some reason : )).

Ayway, WD are apparently considered pretty reliable today. But I think my next stop should be a good hardware review site.

Thanks for the eye-opener :)

SOADA

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
i did copy and paste the date there for a reason...

Best of luck with it all anyways :)

Anthony19

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I found that reading the specs and, most importantly, the users' comments on The Hardware Review is a good way to decide which make, model (there are quite a few different Seagate 500GB drives available) and manufacturing location would be best to gamble on.

SOADA

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quote: I found that reading the specs and, most importantly, the users' comments

Good Idea :)

Best of luck
&
Happy computing !

Anthony19