Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore UPS WorldShip v10 from hard disk backup

• Please log in to reply

XXP

XXP

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Need to restore UPS Worldship 10 from "backup" copy of working application directory tree. Client did not use the app's built-in "backup" export feature.

New client call w/ broken PC. Hard drive failure. Replaced the drive and reinstalled XP; now have to get their apps working -- particularly "UPS Worldship" shipping management software, v10, running in stand alone mode.

Client has an external hard drive for backup but it did not save the XP registry so unable to directly restore a running copy of the UPS app. Unfortunately the client never used the internal data backup tool and so have no exported form of the data to reimport into a new installation.

I have installed fresh v10 on the new XP installation on the new drive. I was -- and still am -- thinking that next step is to delete the directory tree for the new installation of v10 and replace it with the backed up directory tree but privilege settings (by the app on installation) prevent doing this directly.

Next now appears to be to do that in safe mode with the db services not loaded and forced admin privileges.

Will force that situation tomorrow but thought I'd check to see if anyone here has had experience with this. Is there a better way? Thanks.

Advertisements