Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed New Internal Drive, now how rename/use

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Have 6 year-old Compaq Presario S4300NX. Has a Samsung 120gb HD. Started hearing clicking sounds from it this past week, and Windows & programs taking long time to load up. Has still worked albeit seemngly slow. Bought new WD Caviar SE EIDE 320gb to replace it.
Created backup image of old HD to Maxtor external drive using Norton Ghost 9.0. Took very long time. Installed new drive as Slave, created partitions G: (NTFS for C: image) and J: (FAT32 fo D: image). Restored image C: to G: and D: to J.
Now would like to make the new drive the Master, have PC boot to this new drive to start up, and don't want to screw it up in the renaming, etc.
What is the correct process to remove old drive and rename new drive as C: and D: ? Just not sure how you get rid of old C: and D: while creating new C: and D: on new drive.
Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
I think you made this harder than you need it to be. But you at least have a backup image.

I would have installed the new drive as the slave and then ghosted the entire drive (C and D) to the slave.
If all goes correctly, then just swapping the drive so the "new" drive is the boot drive and leaving the "old" drive out, you should be able to boot.

What you have done I do not think will work correctly. I think the C partition will take the G letter. And there is no way to rename C and G.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks for the reply and your help.
After I installed, intialized and formatted the new drive, Windows named the new drive G: ( 1 partition). I restored C: to this, then realized I had not created partition for D. I was restoring each of this separately. Could I have changed "G" to C" at that time before restoring to new drive?
I used EASUS Partition Manager Home Edition to create an additional partition on the new drive and named it (J). Then restored D: to J:.
So I thought I was "ghosting" the C and D to the new drive, and then only had to take out the old drive, attach the MASTER connection to new. Tried that and got a error message that the NTSL (? correct acronym) boot wasn't available or not found. Sorry did not write that down.
So it was at that point I didn't want to try and rename G and J , make new drive Master, and then not be able to boort up at all.
Do want to do as easily as possible, so do I need to start over?
What are exact steps to "Ghost" ( to you mean "restore" ?) my image to the new drive as Slave? It is currently connected as Slave. Old drive is still Master.
Do I need to reformat new drive first, and wipe clean?
When I restore from Norton Ghost, it asks me to tell it what drive to restore to. How do I tell it that without naming the drive. Do I name new one C and D ( can you have multiple "C" and 'D" drives at same time?) , and just know by drive size exactyl which one I should be picking to restore to?
Apologize for all the questions, just don't want to get to point where I can't start PC at all if correct boot info/drive is not found.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Never heard from anyone but after doing some more research that I should have done in first place, I followed info to clone old disk to new.
Cloned/copied old drive to new drive using Casper v.5.
New drive seen as "J" (old D) and "K" (old C) (I did not rename these after cloning. Never read anything that said I had to do that after cloning).
Detached old drive.
Switched Master connection to new drive. Took jumper off new drive.
Powered up.
Got Compaq screen w/ Set-up function keys, etc.
Then screen went to blank screen with cursor blinking in top left.
Start-up does not progress from there.
Restarted and made sure the new WD drive was in the #1 boot up locationat BIOS set up.
But keep getting same result. Always get initial splash screen and then goes to blank w/ blinking cursor.
Not booting up.
What are next diagnostic steps??
Do I need hook up old drive and rename new drive J: to D, and K: to C: so that boot will occur?

Thanks for any help.