Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with non booting intel SC5299WS AND S5000XVN workstation

• Please log in to reply

pcpubay

pcpubay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just completed a build and it will not boot. Both case fans run, the CPU fan runs and the video card fan runs. The PSU fan does not run. The power light does not come on. The status light goes green when powered on then goes amber after a while. There are no beeps when starting. I removed the CPU and there was a series of beeps so it appears that is not the issue. I removed the RAM and it does the same thing as above, "Both case fans run, the CPU fan runs and the video card fan runs. The PSU fan does not run. The power light does not come on. The status light goes green when powered on then goes amber after a while." So I am guessing I have 8 sticks of bad memory, I have removed all and tested in pairs, same thing. The memory is on the tested list as is the CPU.
Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The PSU fan does not run

I would be heavily concerned about this. Even under minimal load, the PSU fan should still be running... at least this has been the case with the hundreds of computers I've had experience with. Change to PSU.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I am concerned about that, not sure what to make of it. the case and PSU are new, all other components are used. after looking at the memory futher some are actually labeled as scrap. I have found a local place that carries FBDIMM memory so on monday or tuesday i will go pick that up and try it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Its possible the bad ram could be shorting a sense line in the PSU. Try pulling the ram and testing if the PSU fan runs.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It does the same thing does not spin, i have check all connections and made sure the mobo is not grounding to the case.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good idea!

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, I meant that I had already checked and that it wasn't grounding out.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Sorry, I meant that I had already checked and that it wasn't grounding out.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you meant you were going to check grounding issues. My error.

Well, the only thing I can think of is to swap out the PSU. Do you have one just to try out? I would hate for you to spend money on one just to find out it's something else causing the problem.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I completly dismantled the system and with the PSU not connected to any componet, the fan still does not spin when connected to power. I have a 800w PSU from an hp XW8600 and when it is connected to power the fan does spin, so I am going to try and make it work.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you're working with an ATX PSU, the fan shouldn't spin unless it's connected to the motherboard. The motherboard supplies a short between two pins of the 20(24) pin connector to enable the PSU. I don't know why the HP PSU is powering up just being connected to AC. Might be something different with that PSU.

Advertisements

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its Extended ATX for servers or workstations.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It turns out that the PSU fan has been running the whole time, I have tried new RAM and a new PSU, with the same result. any other ideas?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Beginning to sound like the MB... although, could be CPU. You mentioned that when you pulled the CPU, you got bios beeps. And the same with the removed ram, bios beeps, correct? When you remove the vid card, did you also get bios beeps? If you did, it sounds like the MB/Bios is alive, so it's difficult to tell if its the MB or the something else. It could be the CPU, but unless you have one to swap in, it'll be an expensive troubleshooting effort.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
After much thought I think that it is the CPU. The CPU is a Xeon 5130 with a 1333 fsb. I have noticed that other motherboards require that the bios be updated to be able to run this CPU. So that is what I will try next.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I hope that'll do it for you. What motherboard do you have?