Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

operating system cd wont install help!

• Please log in to reply

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried cleaning out my entire comp so I tried reinstalling the dell windows xp installation cd and for some reason it doesn't want to install the important files like win.dll and some others... I don't know why it keeps skipping those files. When I start up my comp it says NTDL file is missing or something like that and windows will not start up at all. For the recovery, I don't know how to do it because it's asking for the admin password and It keeps saying it's the wrong password. My comp is completely short and won't start up at all. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem??? any info would help! Thanks.[/size]

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
How do you know, the installation is skipping some files?
Did you try to clean the CD?

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried reformatting my computer and I put the windows xp cd to reinstall everything it tries to download the drivers/files that are needed for windows to work correctly. When it tries downloading the files it skips some saying that it can't download i don't know why the files aren't downloading correctly. So now, I don't have any drivers or files on my comp it's completely swept out. I've used the cd before when I swept my computer out and it worked this time it's not.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try to clean the CD?
Are you sure, the CD drive is in working condition?
Did you try Dell's recovery partition? It should be accessible by pressing CTRL+F11 at Dell's logo.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, the cd worked before when I did the reformatting a couples years ago...I tried doign the recover option but it keeps askign me what windows driver am I trying to install it's a black screen... I don't have windows on my comp anymore because it got swept out. Also, it was asking me the admin password and it says it's not correct. I don't know if maybe because the cd is a little bit scratched? or is it my comp that's not letting the cd copy the files onto the comp.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What happened to Windows installation?
How did you wipe out the hard drive?
You must have removed recovery partition.
Scratched CD may surely cause some problems.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
When I was installing the cd I got messages saying that certain files would not be copied and asked me to try again or skip but gave me a warning that windows would not run properly. I continued with the installation and when it rebooted it went to the log on screen it automatically went to fatal system error blue screen. So there is no windows or anything installed. The cd won't install the files that are needed to run the computer properly. Should I try repairing it and it's asking me for the admin password but there's no password since everything got swept out. So i'm not sure what to do now the comp doesn't run I have to use someones comp.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I can't do that because I can't run windows. All my files/drivers have been deleted, my comp is swept out that's why i'm trying to install the drivers/files from my operating system cd and it won't copy the important files i need like the windows file.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You didn't read my link.
You don't need any Windows in order to run memtest.

Advertisements

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
How can I run the test when I don't have anything to run it on? I can't download it I can't log onto windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Both memtest and the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool run before Windows starts so not being able to log on to the operating system doesn't matter.

You are posting from a machine with internet access...can't you download the application on that machine and make the disk to run on the one that's having problems?

The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool might be easier for you to create and use. There is a tutorial for making the disk and running the tool HERE.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so I do need a disk or a floppy disk to use I don't have that so I guess I can't run the test... How is that test going to help my comp?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One of the possible reason, the installation doesn't complete correctly, is bad RAM, so you need to test it.
Yes, you need blank CD, and CD burner to create bootable CD.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, i'll try to run it..