Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

operating system cd wont install help!

• Please log in to reply

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, I did the memtest and it said no errors...I'm still having problems with reinstalling windows I have no idea why it's doing this. I put the cd in when it says press any key to continue I press a key, and it starts to setup windows and all that. As it copies the files it doesn't want to copy a good portion of them, like ws.dll or something or the winlogin file. Also, sometimes a blue screen comes up saying fatal system error. I have no idea why it's doing this because I've done this before and had no problems reinstalling it. Should I call Dell or Microsoft and let them know the problem I'm having? Is there anything else I could do to fix this problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have read the thread and from what I'm seeing it looks like you are attempting a repair installation and not a fresh install. When you start the installation is it asking if you want to install windows or repair a previous installation?
I don't mean to step in on Broni but I have looked at this several times and your description matches with repair installation.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried both and it wont repair or install windows so I don't know what's wrong the cd says operating system cd includes service pack 1

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
rshaffer61
No reason to worry. We all try to help :)

Laurenm1234
Another possibility, hard drive problem.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes, the cd worked before when I did the reformatting a couples years ago...I tried doign the recover option but it keeps askign me what windows driver am I trying to install it's a black screen... I don't have windows on my comp anymore because it got swept out. Also, it was asking me the admin password and it says it's not correct. I don't know if maybe because the cd is a little bit scratched? or is it my comp that's not letting the cd copy the files onto the comp.

This strikes me a strange. You said a couple of years ago you formatted with the cdrom.
I'm wondering if a borrowed xp of the same kind would do it. Has the drive had any problems reading any other discs?
:)

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I called dell and I already did the hard driver test and it passed. The dell people said it sounds like a cd problem so they sent me new disks to reinstall windows. I'll try to reinstall windows again once I receive the disks in the mail. Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted....

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I got the new disks in the mail... I got the windows xp downloaded finally so it was the cd I had that was having problems. Now I'm having another problem how do I get the internet explorer and stuff?? I have internet explorer and but the internet keeps saying no connection and also the sound isn't working. I don't see a drivers cd that came int the mail...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news (partially) :)
You have to go to your computer maker web site, and get drivers from there.
Check Device Manager for what's missing.

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's like the ethernet thing and the sound n a couple others... what website? microsoft or dell?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Dell. Go to Dell's site, enter your computer service tag number (it should be on a sticker on your computer), and it should take you to download page.

Edited by Broni, 01 April 2009 - 08:04 PM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Dont mean to but in on broni ( as he is very good at what he does )

If you are unsure of what hardware you have installed/fitted

I recommend running everest... to retreive all the technical details for all of us to help assist you

Everest can be located from http://www.geekstogo...rest-file9.html

Best of luck !

Good work so far , keep it up ladies and gentleman

Anthony19

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It says ATI driver

Laurenm1234

Laurenm1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I went to the website and it only lists 1 driver which is the ATI I don't know if it's the right one or not

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Dont mean to but in on broni

Just for the future reference....I never mind someone else helping :)

Said that, I must say, that Dells are pretty picky about drivers, so, if it's original Dell configuration, it's better to start with Dell's site.
If any problems, surely Everest is the best help.