Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing Every Hour Or So

• Please log in to reply

adam j

adam j

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
hi im using windows xp sp3 and recently myu computer just completely freezes after about an hours use?? i have no idea what could of caused this since ive never had this problem before. i have refornatted my computer to see if it was a windows fault byut still the problem occurs.

any more info needed let me no

cheers

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- installed security programs (antivirus, firewall)

2. Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
pc specs -
intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.00GHz, 1.96Gb of RAM

Hard Drive Size - 74.5GB Free Space - 51.5GB

Just standard windows security centre installed

speedfan reading -

Posted Image

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Follow the instructions given
http://lifehacker.co...s-xp-031440.php

It did it for me when my computer froze after 20 min. of inactivity. Unless you use Windows search regularly, the indexing service is useless.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What is "standard windows security centre"?

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
just the thing you get when you install windows firewall autoupdates & virus protectoin

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Windows doesn't have built-in antivirus.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
hello mate ive alredi been using the malware forum this week to fix a problem on my computer but all the way thru fixin it it was still freezing. and also i cleaned the virus that was infected on my computer thru the malware forum but yet the problem stil occurs.

do you think it could be a faulty hardware problem or something?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
speedfan is showing a few low readings on the voltage...if you have access to another power supply of equal or greater wattage then you have in the computer now ..I would replace it

Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest +
here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:
first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:

or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go
here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso
burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have
to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other
tests

Edited by happyrock, 24 March 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice reply, happyrock :)

Advertisements

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
ill let it run in a couple hours once the kids have gone to bed and report back

cheers for the help so far guys

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
hiya

i did the scan for 2 hours 10 mins

it said that it passed 2 times and found NO errors

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first..Right-click My Computer... and then click Properties....Click the Advanced tab....
Under Startup and Recovery... click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK your way out...
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

next ...download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
it will want to download the debugger and install it...say yes...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...
if you haven't had any crashes since reinstalling your OS...wait until you crash before running whocrashed...
again I would replace the power supply...

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you crashed since reinstalling the OS...