Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing Every Hour Or So

• Please log in to reply

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
yes quite a few times

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click start...run...type in eventvwr.msc press enter...check both application and system for any errors or warnings...look for those that coincide with times of the crashes/hangs...let us know what they are..

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
this was from last night around the time i remember it crashing

this is from the system section -

Service Control Manager - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
intelppm

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
it just crashed again then i checked the whoscrashed application and did the eventvwr again and nothing showed as errors

its really annoying!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
no problems with the hard drive

then its only leaving your power supply as the culprit...

Edited by happyrock, 25 March 2009 - 11:08 AM.

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
what happens if my pc crashes whilsts its running tho?

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i just burnt the cd and rebboted the computer and loaded the cd up b4 it booted to windows but it came up the blue windows screen as if im setting up xp again???? is this right if so where am i supposed to type in the prompt?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

what happens if my pc crashes whilsts its running tho?

nothing...its a live cd...that means its running from your cd drive...not the OS that's installed on your computer

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>XXXXXXXX....the XXX part is where you type in chkdsk /r

Edited by happyrock, 25 March 2009 - 05:18 PM.

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
hello again i just did the chkdsk scan and it said it found one or more errors on the drive and fixed them. should this have sorted the problem out?

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
ahhh after only 10 mins it froze again and i had to switch of at socket again!! :):(:)

Edited by adam j, 25 March 2009 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should run the hard drive checking tool that your hard drive manufacture makes...I have seen drives that chkdsk fixes a couple of problems and say its ok only to fail when you run the EXTENDED test using the drive tool made by the manufacture...what is the make of your hard drive...
I want you to go back to the event viewer and get me a screenshot of the errors...when the error screen is on top...

Step 1: press...prnt scrn key

Step 2: Open paint .. click start ... programs ... accessories ... paint

Step 3: left click in the white area...then press ctrl + v

Step 4: click save ...click on desktop on the left hand side...name it in the upper box...save it as a .jpeg in the lower box...

Step 5: to post it in your reply...below where you type your reply...click on browse...select the screenshot...click on the green button...upload..when its done it will say it uploaded successfully...click add reply...it will then show up in your post...

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i dont want to tempt fate here but last night after my posts i updated the sis ide driver on my computer and so far had NO crashing at all, all night or morning and it ALWAYS crashes after an hour or 2 of use so im thinking maybe the updated driver has fixed the problem

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
SPOKE TO SOON IT CRASHED JUST NOW! ILL REPORT BACK WITH WHAT YOU ASKED FOR IN PREVIOUS POST HOW DO I FIND OUT WHO MY HARDDRIVE MANUFACTURER IS?

Edited by adam j, 26 March 2009 - 04:04 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get HD tune..launch it and in the drop down menu you will see the info we need...

Edited by happyrock, 26 March 2009 - 05:13 PM.

adam j

adam j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Posted Image