Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi Dan, sorry I thought I replied to this thread. The internet is slow but also loses connection. "Access to local and internet" then the globe in the bottom right hand corn disappears and when I hover the mouse over it it says "Access to Local only" and I losss connection to the page while it is trying to load. This is intermittent/random but but very frequent as in it happens every 5-10minutes or 20 mins while surfing, I have been using the ethernet cable for a while now and I have had no problems at all.

I'm trying to change the settting but before I mess around with it what is "Wireless WakeOnLan" ? I enabled my wireless again as I disabled it so I could just use the ethernet but after I enabled it I followed the rest of your steps and I noticed the "Wireless WakeOnLan" in the property list and it was disabled ??? I just enabled it and im not sure if it because I enabled it or just luck at the moment but the connection seems fast and stable. Also should I adjust the receive buffer and transmitt buffer value ? They are both set to 64 (what ever that means lol). There is another option called "Software Antenna diversity" its is enabled as I found it but should I disable it and see what happens ?

Just so we're clear, I think as soon as I unplugged the cable and enabled the wireless my sppeds did not change, I am getting speeds that I was just getting with the ethernet cable and the wireless is as fast as I was before the install but the only thing I changed was "Wireless WakeOnLan" from disabled to enable but I can't be sure if I was getting good wireless speed before I changed this as my cable was plugged in and wireless enabled as I changed the "Wireless WakeOnLan" to enable.

Sorry if none of the above makes sense or a little confusing, just trying to explain as good as possible.

Many thanks :) I will post tomorrow and let you know if I have got my wireless still but for the last 15 minutes it working 100% :)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Odd. I wouldn't have thought that WOL (or WOWLAN I believe is the wireless equivalent) would have made a difference. It basically just leaves your adapter in a state where it's always waiting for a broadcast packet telling it to "wake up" if it "sleeps". So, maybe your adapter was "sleeping" on you when it shouldn't have been.

If it did solve your problem, great catch. :) Who said curiosity killed the cat? :)

I'd love to get an update on whether or not your issue has been resolved.

Thanks,
- Dan