Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infection Via AOL Instant Messenger [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

carrielorwig

carrielorwig

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My friend sent me a link that said "Hey! Check This Out!" and I clicked it because the description said pictures and he has a photo album online. The link sent itself to everyone and my computer has been full of pop-ups and it won't let me stay online for more than a couple hours. I have to restart my computer just to get back online. I deleted the file that the link downloaded, "picts35.exe", but it's still messing up my computer really really bad. I've run AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot. Please please help me.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Please do not post duplicate topics.

Did you read the sticky post yet? If not, go to the first link below in my signature and read it. Post the HijackThis log here when ready.

carrielorwig

carrielorwig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i'm sorry i duplicated. i didn't know what forum was appropriate for my question. also, where is your signature???

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That's ok.

My signature is at the bottom of every post. In this case, I want you to click on the Read here before posting your HijackThis logs link and read what it says to do there.

carrielorwig

carrielorwig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've gotten through to the suggested programs for online scan the pandascan and the housecall scan. They won't let me scan because I don't have internet explorer 5.0(i have mozilla firefox) and the housecall won't let me scan because I don't have the "proper netscape plugins." Should I download internet explorer so i can do the scan or is there something else I should do?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
For HouseCall it should work. You just need Java installed. Why don't you just use Internet Explorer then? All versions of Windows will have it. It should be in your desktop by default. If you still can't find it, just go to Start->Run and type in iexplore and hit OK. That should open up Internet Explorer. Run the Panda or TrendMicro scan now.

Follow the rest of the steps and give me the HijackThis log when done.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.