Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Pool Caller Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've been getting a "bad pool caller" blue screen randomly on start-up. The problem is on my laptop, which is a Compaq Presario C500. The problem happened after the HP Health Check program ran and suggested I update a few things. One of the intallations, some BIOS update, failed and now I am having this problem. I am also having other problems with the wireless adapter failing to connect or dropping connection at random. The computer will also randomly decide to shut down and on restart it displays a message saying an error occured and Windows had to restart.

The problem happened before I learned what a "bad pool caller" issue meant. Its been happening for a few months now and I don't have a system restore that goes back to the point before I ran this stupid Health Check. The operating system is Windows Vista, any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Edited by LTmoney32, 22 March 2009 - 09:14 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
First, thank you very much for your reply. I ran sfc /scannow, but did not receive the message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations". I also found the CBS.log file and attempted to upload it using FlyUpload. However, I got a message saying: "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission." Not sure what to do next, I thought I was the administrator on this computer. Thanks again for your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Copy CBS.log to any other folder, and upload it from there.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here's the link: http://www.flyupload.../?fid=105465254

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I didn't see any critical errors there.

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here's the zipped file: http://www.flyupload.../?fid=928426617

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm attaching your file to my reply, so it won't disappear...

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We have several different error messages here: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and BAD_POOL_CALLER.
Those messages point to three drivers: inspect.sys, dne2000.sys, and ndiswan.sys

inspect.sys belongs to Comodo
ndiswan.sys is one of network drivers
dne2000.sys is a driver supplied by Deterministic Networks as part of the Cisco VPN client

Since the first file is listed the most, as your problem, if you're currently running Comodo, I'd start with reinstalling it.

Edited by Broni, 24 March 2009 - 02:48 PM.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Alright, I've reinstalled Comodo. Hopefully things go back to normal. The symptoms pop up randomly so I'll let you know if anything happens. Is there another step I should take or wait and see if things work? Thanks a lot for your help and I appreciate your time.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, we have to wait, because we can't try more than one fix at a time. We wouldn't know what's going on.
Are you using Comodo firewall, or a whole suite?

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Just the firewall

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thank you.
Run the computer normally, and see what will happen.

LTmoney32

LTmoney32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Things seem to be running great... I will let you know if anything out of the ordinary happens, but so far it's running fine.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very good, very good :)