Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost internet connection and no sound.

• Please log in to reply

desirae33

desirae33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
When I click on Network Setup Wizard nothing happens. I have wireless internet and I have a network key serial number but I don't know where to enter it, should I call my internet provider tomorrow?

Edited by desirae33, 12 April 2009 - 03:09 AM.

Advertisements

desirae33

desirae33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Sorry about the slow response.

Let's try a different approach.

• Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Network Connection (either Local Area Connection for wired, or Wireless Network Connection for wireless) and select Properties.
  • In this new window, you should see a section with the heading This connection uses the following items. In this section, you should have at least the following items listed, with a tick beside each:
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    • File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
  • If any of these items are missing, please follow the steps below to re-install them.
Install Client for Microsoft Networks
  • Beneath the section labeled This connection uses the following items, press the Install.. button.
  • In the new window, double click Client.
  • In the Select Network Client window, select Client for Microsoft Networks and then press OK.
  • Once it is installed, you will return to the Properties window; ensure Client for Microsoft Networks is now listed with a tick beside it.
Install Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
  • Beneath the section labeled This connection uses the following items, press the Install.. button.
  • In the new window, double click Protocol.
  • In the Select Network Protocol window, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then press OK.
  • Once it is installed, you will return to the Properties window; ensure Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is now listed with a tick beside it.
Install File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
  • In the new window, double click Service.
  • In the Select Network Service window, select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and then press OK.
  • Once it is installed, you will return to the Properties window; ensure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is now listed with a tick beside it.
Restart your laptop and see if you can get an Internet connection now; can you?

- Dan

I'm going to try and get a hold of my internet provider tomorrow to help me restore my network connection and once that's done with I'll finish this^ :)

desirae33

desirae33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Sorry for the delay, AT&T is closed when I find the time to call so it looks like I wont get to this till Saturday. :)

I really appreciate your patience, thanks. :)

desirae33

desirae33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Ok so I've decided to take my computer in to have someone take a look at it, it seems like there's way too many problems going on and it's frustrating :)

Thanks for the time and all your help. :)