Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access IBM and IE7

• Please log in to reply

kuznets123

kuznets123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an IBM R51 Thinkpad, 4 years old. When IE7 was issued I installed it on my computer. After I did I discovered that Access IBM did not work - would not open. I uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled IE6, which I am still using. Access IBM works fine and so does my computer. However, with the release of IE8 I am curious if it will produce the same problem. Does anyone know:
Why IE7 disabled Access IBM?
Did somebody ever fix the problem?
Can I expect the same problem with IE8?
Thank you.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm not familiar with Access IBM, but do you happen to know if it installed an ActiveX in order to work, or used the Remote Desktop protocol? I use a feature of Microsoft's Small Business Server called Remote Web Workplace, and it requires the installation of an ActiveX for remote desktop (RDP). Installation of IE7, and even some subsequent updates, disabled the ActiveX, requiring it to be re-enabled before Remote Web Workplace would work. I've had this happen to a number of the users I support, both on company-issued laptops and their home computers, and Google searches have shown it's a wide-spread problem. It's possible that a similar problem is occurring with Access IBM.