Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to connect SB4200 modem to vista

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
recently i bought a new computer which is running windows vista. my old computer was XP and used a Motorolla Surfboard Cable modem SB4200 to connect to the internet.

when i tried connecting my new pc to this modem via usb and ethernet (individually) it just didnt work.
i looked on the internet and found Vista driver updates that are required for the modem to work ON vista.
i downloaded these on my XP pc then transferred them to my VISTA pc. i have tried transferring the drivers .ZIP files from xp to my vista pc and when they unzip it unzips .SYS files and no .exe files that i can actually use.

i have also tried unzipping the files on my XP pc first THEN transferring the unzipped files to the Vista pc. but the .exe files arent there when i try to view them on Vista so i cant do anything.
anyone have any idea why i cant view these files or why this specific cable modem wont work with VISTA?

the website i got the drivers from is below. downloaded both Vista driver update and USB update but both have some problem of not being able to unzip files properly
http://broadband.mot...ntinuedProducts

TY FOR HELP

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
This article doesn't cover Vista, but should give you a good idea of the process.http://www.etisalat.ae/assets/etisalat/download/alshamil/sb4200-motorola-surfboard-cable.html

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
nope sorry that doesnt help my problem.

i need to know why VISTA doesnt read the files properly or unzip them for use.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

no .exe files that i can actually use

That's because there are no .exe file in the driver download.
They are not using a setup program to install the drivers. In the Link I referenced, they are having you delete the old drivers. disconnect your modem, the new setup wizard, will ask you to pick a specified location. Browse to that location. Windows setup will use the .inf file to install the drivers.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
SOLVED by self

problem was to do with IP address re-shitting or someinthg Close this so i stop getting emails plz
TAHNKS!