Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

program files

• Please log in to reply

dukesoz

dukesoz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all, i did a search on my puter for programs as it was running slow. it came up with 1971 files.
how can i tell which to delete and which to keep?
also some are in blue text,why is this?
i hope someone can help me, as i am a newbie to this side of things.

regards dukesoz

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think this article is what you need. This is by Artellos, a trusted tech here.

Take a look at this article by Artellos. What makes your machine slow? The recommendations can really improve speed and performance.

The ATF Cleaner he recommends will get rid of all the files you don't need.

Let me know if you have any questions after reading the guide.

Good Luck!

dukesoz

dukesoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks ferrari, i have read that post, but it does not relate to my question.

regards dukesoz

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

i did a search on my puter for programs as it was running slow. it came up with 1971 files

According to this statement by you, I get the impression that your computer is running slow. That article will speed your computer up dramatically and also tells you to delete old programs you don't use.

The ATF Cleaner will clean all temporary files, temp internet files, indexed files, prefetch folder and more.

Can you explain further what your problem is if that isn't what you need? And in whichever case, doing what that articles suggests is good for anyone to maintain their computers cleanliness and speed.

Edit: And to be more clear, ATF Cleaner basically deletes all the files you don't need for you automatically. That should answer this question...

how can i tell which to delete and which to keep?

Edited by Ferrari, 23 March 2009 - 02:55 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What did you use to determine you had 1971 files? Just because you have this many files does not mean they are all programs.

If you have a lot of programs starting up, it will be slow.
If you have a fragmented drive, it will be slow.
If you have a lot of temp files so it will be slow.
If you are low on ram, it will be slow.

So using the guide will help. What do you have in your msconfig?
How much ram do you have?
When was the last time you defragmented the drive?

dukesoz

dukesoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What did you use to determine you had 1971 files? Just because you have this many files does not mean they are all programs.

If you have a lot of programs starting up, it will be slow.
If you have a fragmented drive, it will be slow.
If you have a lot of temp files so it will be slow.
If you are low on ram, it will be slow.

So using the guide will help. What do you have in your msconfig?
How much ram do you have?
When was the last time you defragmented the drive?

i clicked start, search ,typed in programs, after awhile it started listing programs. ended up with 1971 program files. some where in blue text, do you know what blue text means?
start up has what i need to get going,
i fragment often.
i delete temp files often.
ram=1.256 mb.
i guess i am asking, is that many programe files to many? why are some blue text? am i doubling up on programe files? as i said i am a newbie, but i know to do all the above on a regular basis.

i appreciate all, and any, advice.

regards dukesoz

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi dukesoz,

Searching for the word "programs" is just going to bring up random files. That isn't the way you find out about how many files or programs you have.

If you would like to see your programs you have installed Go to...

Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Add/Remove Programs.

I would uninstall any of the programs you don't use any more, that will get rid of the files that are associated with them, along with (again) using ATF Cleaner which the download can be found for in that guide I gave you or in my signature.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea on how to maintain your computer, however, using programs that don't come with your computer(assuming thats what your using to clear the temp files and also for defragging your hard drive, Is the ones that are on your computer already) don't do a very good job. If you use and do exactly what that guide suggest I can guarantee you that you will be pleasantly surprised with the increase in speed and performance of your computer.

I want you to understand I'm not Making You do it, but just letting you know that it was not that long ago I was "New" and I used that guide, and I was very very impressed with the usefulness of the programs and ways to speed the computer up.

Also, you only have 256mb of RAM and XP runs at a minimum better at 512mb, however I would say 1gb would be the best. RAM is the easiest and most cost effective way to increase the speed of your computer(along with using ATF Cleaner, JKDefrag, and msconfig) RAM is also very easy to install in many laptops and very very extremely easy to do in a desktop. Do this...

This is a great way to find out the kind of RAM (memory) you have and how much of it your motherboard will support. Upgrading your RAM is the most cost-efficient way to increasing your computers speed and performance.

Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. Don't know where to buy it? Newegg is the place I look.(cheap). A good cheap name brand that is reliable is Kingston, though there are many.

EDIT I just noticed you said 1.256mb Do you mean 1.256 GB? Or was it a typo saying 256mb?

Let me know if you have any questions or help.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 March 2009 - 04:05 PM.

dukesoz

dukesoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have used atf cleaner etc: puter runs o.k for short time ,then slows again.
i do use add/delete files.
i have 1.256GB.

thanks for your help.

regards duke.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well if you have everything maintained and it isn't running like how it is supposed to, it doesn't hurt to get checked out by the malware staff.

It is possible that you may have a Malware issue. Malware advice can only be given by Staff Members and such subjects can only be discussed in the Malware Forums. START HERE...and post a new topic stating your problems HERE (No where else). When you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Staff, if you are still having problems, come back to This topic. Someone will be more than happy to assist you.

dukesoz

dukesoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks ferrari