Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

kinda old and not computer savvy

• Please log in to reply

tari37

tari37

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi, I'm Tari37 and I'm a mother of 9 and get interrupted a lot, but I'm trying to get my two computers working properly. My laptop gets interrupted all the time with windows installer preparing to install. I cannot install a fixer as it says it needs to install something else first. I tried to disable, but it didn't work. Mostly, I also don't know how to look on this website for topics that could help me!!!! Could someone show me where on the forum to look for help? Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.

Within each forum at the bottom left is a search function.

For your problem, can you give us any more information on what it is trying to install?
Is this something you are trying to install? or something that just happened?

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm not a guru by any means. But might I suggest that you deal w/only ONE of your computers at a time? You've asked about your laptop. What kind of laptop is it? (Hewlett Packard/Dell/Acer?) What Operating System does it have? (Windows XP/Vista/?) The folks here who have the knowledge to help you --- can/will tell you how to find out all this information with only a few keystrokes. They are GREAT. Just ask. If they suggest something that you don't understand ... let them know... immediately. No question you ask is "too dumb" for them. They've heard it all, I'm sure....more than once.

tari37 ----- welcome to Geeks to Go! Take your time... (quit your frantic clicking on stuff you have no clue what it means ---- and let the folks here help you!) :)

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yes, deal with one at a time. Brand, operating system?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello tari37

May i suggest you press & hold down ( on the keyboard ) the Windows key ( Has the windows logo printed onto it ) then simply press the " Pause Break " key

This should bring you to " System Properties "
IF you cannot get it to work.. or find the correct key to press simply follow the below instructions ( long way... lol )

Click Start ( bottom left of the screen ) , locate " My computer " right click( On mouse ) over the my computer icon and select " Properties " from the menu that appears

from the " System properties " window copy and post into your next reply
1. All of the " system " section ( Top part )
2. All of the " computer " section ( Bottom part )

Do not worry about copying/pasting the Registration details... as we do not need/require it here ( The rest of that information will help us to help you throughout the topic/thread

Best of luck !!!
hope all goes well
&
Happy computing !

Anthony19

PS: I'm no guru either :) , just a little geekish...
PSS: Ensure you copy everything as it is written :) :) :) ( Just verify it all once you have typed it )

Edited: Typing errors :no:

Edited by Anthony19, 23 March 2009 - 09:00 PM.

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
You may be asked to "copy and paste" certain information. If you don't know how to do that ... no problem. Someone here w/be able to guide you right through it. (I have to tell you that it took me a time... or 4 or 5... to "get the hang of it"..... for some reason, I just kept making it hard for myself. Go figure.) Folks here w/be patient w/you while you are learning --- 'cause everybody here went through a learning process. Just slow down ... you aren't gonna "ace it" all in one day .... and nobody here is gonna "give up on you" in one day. Promise.

Hey! With 9 kids ----- sooner or later you're gonna have to teach all nine of them how to tie their shoes. Shoe tieing is *not* learned in one day. :) There are *lots* of things that aren't learned in one day. (Dang it!) :) BUT ---- once you (and the kids) learn how to do it - right --- it is never forgotten. :)

I'm excited for you ---- hope you can find the time to learn what you *want* to learn. This forum is gonna *BE* here ---- come back whenever you can find the time. :)