Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoughts/comments on Uniblue Registry Booster?

• Please log in to reply

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...first, if there is already an existing and/or closed thread on this subject, my apologies. I just arrived here a few days ago.
...I've had this program for a couple of years (but only registered it last year--you download it for free but it is 'crippled': it will only repair the first ten problems it finds and then tells you you need to register the program to fix the rest :) ). The registered version has found and repaired a lot more registry errors than my Norton did, so I've kept it. Also, it has a 'defrag' feature that supposedly improves the efficiency of the registry.
...But I wonder what the G2G community thinks of this program, what if any experiences you have had with it, etc...

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

But I wonder what the G2G community thinks of this program, what if any experiences you have had with it, etc...

Hello ZedU54

A complete waste of space. Here at Geeks To Go we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. Here is a quote from an expert who is on this forum

"There are a few misunderstandings about the Registry. People seem to think that cleaning the Registry will make the Registry smaller and easier managable. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. What you are doing is create miniature gaps in the Registry's on-disc file. These gaps will be reused by new data to be inserted in the Registry. End result of this action is that the Registry becomes fragmented. Searching data in a fragmented file (be it a database on a network server or a user's Registry) is way slower than an optimized file. In short the only way to speed up handling of the Registry (and even that is marginal) is by completely rewriting the file(s).

Therefore the only program I used on Windows machines was Registry Compressor who would do that. Unfortunately the program has been sold to another company and guess what they incorporated in it!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Registry cleaner. *groan!!!!!!!!!!*

Cleaning the Registry is a difficult thing for someone who does not know what he's doing as programmers can put anything they want in the Registry. If an unexperienced person is going to take a look at the Registry and based on a program is going to delete things.... Recipe for disaster.

Trust me the perceived benefits of cleaning a Registry is marginally (if at all) noticeable."

From a personal point of view I wouldn't even bother looking for one as these can cause you more hassle than enough and no one here will help you in regards to these cleaners.

They can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Deleting the wrong entries can render a PC unusable, and none of us want to be in the position of helping a user recover from that. There is also no evidence that cleaning out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a PC. It will speed up searches within the registry, but that has no effect on performance.

Regards

Edited by starjax, 24 March 2009 - 07:51 AM.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
...fair enough. That's all I was asking for. Thanx for the info, and I won't use it. I know that the Registry must be handled with a certain amount of caution...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well said Wizzy2k5,

And to quote another staff member when someone else had asked about a registry program this is all he said, and I think you get the point...

stay away...