Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having hard time reinstalling xp

• Please log in to reply

ir8ss

ir8ss

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
To make a long story short, I'm trying to fix my sons computer. I just got done fixing a missing explore.exe problem, there is no internet, and there is a lot of stuff on here he doesn't need. So I decided to reinstall xp. I've tried using the cd that came with, but is say i have a newer version of windows and won't let me install it. Can someone please walk me through how to wipe the drive clean and reinstall xp. Thank you.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

I hope I can be of some help to you. But I'm going to need some more information please.

Could you please give your system specs

Brand make and model
Cpu
Ram
Motherboard if you know it
Hard drive size
Cd\dvd input devices

I've tried using the CD that came with, but is say i have a newer version of windows and won't let me install it.

Is the Cd you are trying to use a retail copy from Microsoft, or is it a System Restore Disk?

Before You can go through with a fresh install of windows You will need:

* COA "Certificate of Authenticity" from Microsoft it is a sticker with a 25 digit code that is attached to you case
*The Drivers disk for your Motherboard (The one the computer came with)

It is important that you don't attempt to reinstall if you don't have both of those Items.
I'll respond back tomorrow to see where you are at.

Cbarnard

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you booting from Windows CD?
It doesn't look like you're.

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Cbarnard

The computer is a dell 4550. I'll have to get the other info when I'm at home.

It is NOT a retail versionof windows. It is the restore disk that came with the computer.

I do have the COA on the case. As far as the drivers for the motherboard, wouldn't they be on the restore disk?

Thanks for the help.

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Broni,

I have tried booting from the disk, I hit F12, then boot from the CD and let me reinstall.

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Would it be a better idea to try and fix the internet problem and not reinstall windows and then just delete the stuff that he doesn't need anymore?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Would it be a better idea to try and fix the internet problem and not reinstall windows and then just delete the stuff that he doesn't need anymore?

That is what I would do, for right now.Work on getting it cleaned up for now Ill be back on later to help but I have to go to work
good luck
Cbarnard

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Cbarnard

I will try to fix it first and see how far I get. I don't know where to start. I can tell you there is no internet connection. I can also tell you that when I go to device manager there is a yellow question mark next to the PCI Simple Communication controller. How do i fix that?

Thanks

ir8ss

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I have tried booting from the disk, I hit F12, then boot from the CD and let me reinstall.

This is not how you do it.
You put the CD in, and you restart computer.
At some point, you should see this message:
Press any key to boot from CD
Do you see the above message?

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No. If I leave the CD in and start the computer up it goes into windows. To boot off the CD I have to hit F12 when it's loading, then it goes to the prompts, that's where I can choose load from the CD drive.

Thanks

ir8ss

Edited by ir8ss, 24 March 2009 - 02:52 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
...and what happens next?

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Then it goes the the options on the Cd, Which I'm not in front of, one option is to install windows, another option is to scan the computer. When I picked the option to install windows it said that I had a newer version and would not let me. I will let you know all the options once I'm off work and in front of the computer tonight.

Thanks

ir8ss

Edited by ir8ss, 24 March 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What is the exact name of that CD?

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It is the operating system already installed on your computer. Reinstallation cd, microsoft windows xp home edition with sp1.

Edited by ir8ss, 24 March 2009 - 05:20 PM.

ir8ss

ir8ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I boot to from the CD it comes up with Windows XP Home Edition Setup

-To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.

-To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.