Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to repair xp with no keyboard?

• Please log in to reply

sprt565

sprt565

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, new to forums, new to Geeks to Go. I can usually fix 'em myself but this has me stumped.
All hardware is working fine. System stable too, but I regularly run PC pitstop and RadarSync.

Both listed System Driver update (to my Mobo) neede. Download it, it uninstalled old drivers and upon restarting at login screen, my keyboard and mouse will not work.

Tried safe mode, same thing. No input devices work on login screen.

Go into BIOS to check it out and my keyboard works there.

Give up and try repair from XP cd. after 'press any key to continue with installation' I press any key and error message"couldn't find NTLDR.

Made my cd/dvd rom drive 1st in boot sequence, tried all the different jumper settings on the drive, have system stripped down to ps2 keyboard and mouse, monitor, and video card (my mobo has no onboard video). IF anyone has had this happen please tell me how you got out of it. Thanks.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Both listed System Driver update (to my Mobo) neede. Download it, it uninstalled old drivers and upon restarting at login screen, my keyboard and mouse will not work.

What are these drivers? Are they BIOS or windows updates?

sprt565

sprt565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
They are the nvidia 570 chipset system drivers for the mother board, not BIOS though. Mostly for ethernet, usb, etc.... but I am trying PS2 input devices while troubleshooting.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would start with a complete reset of the BIOS by disconnecting the power cord and taking the CMOS battery out for abut 10 minutes. After you do that reset time and and date and see if your hard disk is recignized. Also make sure that all USB options in the BIOS are enabled.

If this doesn't help I would try to run the computer with another operating system that runs from the memory. Candidates are Puppy Linux and BartPE. There are link in my list below. You have to create bootable CDs. Linux is easier to make.

sprt565

sprt565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks you all, tried an old cd drive and it worked long enough to reinstall xp, not able to repair. Have files backed up just a time consuming issue of reinstalling everything. Still not sure what exactly caused the problem to begin with. Waiting for MSI support to tell me something. Will post any answers to help others if I get them.