Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Drivers

• Please log in to reply

AJ1993

AJ1993

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey everybody

I have recently just ReInstalled windows because I switched out my motherboard but im having a problem with sound drivers.

Im not getting any sound.

I got the correct drivers from a friend who knows his stuff about computers but hes no help right now.

Here are my specs

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2V-MX Rev 1.xx
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
200.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory DDR2

Sorry im new to these forums, If you need anything else I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeekToGo, I hope I can assist you lets get started.

I have recently just Re Installed windows because I switched out my motherboard but im having a problem with sound drivers.

Im not getting any sound.

Have you installed the drivers from the cd after your windows install?

I got the correct drivers from a friend who knows his stuff about computers but hes no help right now.

if you have already installed the driver, Was it a factory Cd or was it a burned CD with drivers he downloaded from the computer manufacturer site? Have you tried to uninstall the driver and then reinstall. Are your speakers plugged in?

Here are my specs

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2V-MX Rev 1.xx
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
200.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory DDR2

what brand make and model is your unit?

Cbarnard

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Have you installed the drivers from the cd after your windows install?

No it was a Burned CD and I used the CD off of my Computer Case.

if you have already installed the driver, Was it a factory Cd or was it a burned CD with drivers he downloaded from the computer manufacturer site? Have you tried to uninstall the driver and then reinstall. Are your speakers plugged in?

He downloaded them from the ASUS Site. Where and how do I uninstall the drivers (Im not the best with PC tech). Yes my speakers are plugged in.

what brand make and model is your unit?

its all different. The HD is from my Compaq. The MoBo is ASUS. I have a Pinnacle PCI Capture Card Installed(Works Fine). My Videocard is installed and works fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2V-MX

Here is the homepage for that model http://www.asus.com/...grf8Ci4yxnqzt3z
As you can see the sound is built onboard. There should have been a drivers disk with the mb. That disk will have drivers for the sound, lan, video, usb. Double check to make sure you are plugged in the correct speaker outlet on the system. Never hurts to make sure.
After installing and if the sound and other onboard do not work, then go into the bios and check to make sure all onboard items are enabled. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 March 2009 - 08:00 AM.

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2V-MX

Here is the homepage for that model http://www.asus.com/...grf8Ci4yxnqzt3z
As you can see the sound is built onboard. There should have been a drivers disk with the mb. That disk will have drivers for the sound, lan, video, usb.
After installing and if the sound and other onboard do not work, then go into the bios and check to make sure all onboard items are enabled. :)

One Slight problem with that. I got the mobo off of my cousin. I dont think he knows where the disk is.. Ehh more problems right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem, did your cousin tell you of any problems with the mobo when you got it?
If not try going into device manager and check to see if any sound devices have yellow exclamation marks next to them . If possible take a screenshot and include

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else you may check is
start>all programs> Accessories>Entertainement> Volume
Check to make sure the master volume is turned up.
Windows can be strange sometimes

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 March 2009 - 08:07 AM.

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Not a problem, did your cousin tell you of any problems with the mobo when you got it?
If not try going into device manager and check to see if any sound devices have yellow exclamation marks next to them . If possible take a screenshot and include

Not that I can see. Uploader on site didnt work. Heres a DirectLink from Photobucket.
http://i550.photobuc...KilLax/DMSS.jpg

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Something else you may check is
start>all programs> Accessories>Entertainement> Volume
Check to make sure the master volume is turned up.
Windows can be strange sometimes

I get an error that reads: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to Control Panel, Click printers and other hardware, then click add hardware."

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Double check all connections for your speakers, Power, output on the computer and any speaker wires make sure they aren't loose or disconnected then if device manager indicates a problem with your driver for your sound, uninstall the driver then click HERE for the download for your motherboard, install that driver, this is directly from Asus website

This should help, but if it doesn't then we have a different problem, but lets try that right now.

Cbarnard

I just reviewed the post there were several posts inserted after I looked and before I replied... so we may have a different problem... let me think a little bit

Edited by cbarnard, 24 March 2009 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Double check all connections for your speakers, Power, output on the computer and any speaker wires make sure they aren't loose or disconnected then if device manager indicates a problem with your driver for your sound, uninstall the driver then click HERE for the download for your motherboard, install that driver, this is directly from Asus website

This should help, but if it doesn't then we have a different problem, but lets try that right now.

Cbarnard

How exactly do I uninstall the sound drivers that I have already installed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are fast cbarnard, I was just going to paste the link to asus site with that exact driver.

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Now Ive got an even bigger problem. Im not getting a screen. I hear the PC load up and run but then the monitor is black.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What exactly did you uninstall and how?

AJ1993

AJ1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

What exactly did you uninstall and how?

I didnt uninstall anything. The PC shut off. I turned it back on and it gave me a "Searching for Disk in Floppy Drive" alternating with "Searching for Disk in CD Drive". No other option so I powered down and now I'm getting no screen. (Im on my laptop now.)