Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged" Problem

• Please log in to reply

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
This tab keeps appearing at the bottom of my toolbar and it informs me that my "Local Area Connection has been lost due to an unplugged cable", when all my cables are plugged in.

I tried calling Verizon but they couldn't help. They could only tell me that it could be a problem with my Ethernet Cord, or my Ethernet Cartridge in my computer.

Are there any alternatives? Is there a way to find out if it's one or the either? What else could it be?
I'm really tired of my internet connection being cut and the fact that my internet speed has slowed down tremendously.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey oliver,

Sometimes as devices age, their ports lose certain functionality. If you have your NIC setup to auto-sense/negotiate its duplex setting, this may be causing an issue. Please try the following.

Step 1 - Change your duplex setting:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the new window, press the Configure.. button.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • In this new window, you should see a Property: list. Within this list, look for an item called something similar to Speed & duplex settings (the exact name will vary depending on your manufacturer).
  • Select this item (so that it is high-lighted) and then please note down its current Value -- post this value.
  • Change the value to one of the following, and then test if your connection improves or not. If it doesn't, try a different value and test -- repeat for each item.
  • 100 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 100 Mbps Half Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Half Duplex
If you do not notice an improvement with any of these settings, you may change it back to its original value (that you noted down).
Thanks,
- Dan

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
You guys here are geniuses! Haha I don't know how you learn all these things.
Much thanks, but I'm curious to know:
Since my connection is fine now, still seeing how slow or quick it is, I set it to "10 Mbps Full Duplex" what does that mean? Pros and Cons?
My download speed is laughable right now, I can't get above 30 KB/sec when downloading AVG 8. My normal speed is about 180 KB/sec, is this difference b/c I switched to "10 Mbps Full Duplex"?

Edited by oliver amaya, 26 March 2009 - 01:20 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It could be; did 100Mbps Full Duplex not work for you? That is pretty slow though, there may be an issue some where else. I need to head out in a few minutes, so I'll post back later.

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
100Mbps Full Duplex was one of the worst settings for me. My connection was immediately lost when I switched to it.
I'm trying 100 at half duplex but it hasn't solved the problem.

I guess I'll try 10mbps

Edited by oliver amaya, 16 April 2009 - 12:02 PM.

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have a similar problem, my connection disconnects for a split second saying "Network cable unplugged" and reconnects, it does this a few times usually and then my whole connection is lost. Usually restarting my PC fixes the problem temporarily but eventually the connection either says it's still connected but doesn't work or is completely removed from the Network Connections list as if the Local Area connection doesn't exist. I have been given a new modem recently by my internet provider and I'm pretty sure the problem happened without my router connected, I can't remember clearly but I'm pretty sure it did. My router is a Buffalo AirStation WHR-G125 Wireless-G High Speed Router. We've replaced the wires multiple times and I don't think changing the duplex seems to work. PLEASE can you help me, this has been driving me insane.

Additional information: The only thing the router is connected to is a PS3 downstairs and a Nintendo Wii in the same room as the router, upstairs.

My router is relativity new, only bought a few months ago.

I was recommended by a PC shop to do a fresh install of Windows XP, make sure it's stable and then update again, make sure it's stable, to see if an update triggered this problem. I'd prefer if I didn't have to do this and I'm unsure if there are any other solutions or if this would actually solve anything.

At one point it'd show 1.0 Gps as my internet speed when it wouldn't work, now it seems to show it's normal speed when not connecting or disappearing all together.

Edited by Lykathea, 21 April 2009 - 03:04 PM.

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Haha yeah that's my exact problem.
Changing my Mbps settings doesn't help too much.
Anything I could do?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are a couple thing you can try to do to attempt to isolate.

Have you tried resetting the modem and the router?
To do this, unplug the router and unplug the modem. Plug the modem in first and let it finish its self test.
Then plug in the router and let it finish its self test.
Try using the internet and see what happens.
No Joy?

Next, can you bypass the router and go straight to the computer to the nic card.
See if this improves anything. If it does, then the problem is in the router.

You can the do a reset on the router. Usually there is a small hole where you use a paper clip to reset it.
NOTE: Any personal settings like ports and security keys will have to be set up again.

Please let us know how you make out.

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I've already reset my router and unplugged and plugged in the modem and router in that order, I've also had the problem without the router plugged in. :/

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I don't have a router so that can't be an issue.

I've tried every Mbps setting and none of them work.
Any more advise?

Advertisements

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hmph, this problem needs to be solved. I'm completely baffled and annoyed.

Edited by Lykathea, 01 May 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Anyone?

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Hey oliver,

Sometimes as devices age, their ports lose certain functionality. If you have your NIC setup to auto-sense/negotiate its duplex setting, this may be causing an issue. Please try the following.

Step 1 - Change your duplex setting:

• Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the new window, press the Configure.. button.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • In this new window, you should see a Property: list. Within this list, look for an item called something similar to Speed & duplex settings (the exact name will vary depending on your manufacturer).
  • Select this item (so that it is high-lighted) and then please note down its current Value -- post this value.
  • Change the value to one of the following, and then test if your connection improves or not. If it doesn't, try a different value and test -- repeat for each item.
  • 100 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 100 Mbps Half Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Half Duplex
If you do not notice an improvement with any of these settings, you may change it back to its original value (that you noted down).
Thanks,
- Dan

Oddly enough, I tried this for a second time. And I think 10MBps Half Duplex worked out for me. My down load stayed at a good rate as well. Try this one more time Lykathea.

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
It doesn't seem to change anything for me.

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ah I was hoping it would help ya' out like it did w/ me.
I don't know what to tell ya'' my connection is working just fine.
I really doubt it's you ethernet card; if you have money you can go to bestbuy and buy a new cable but find out if you'll be able to return the cable if it doesn't solve your problem. I'm sure if you talk to one of the employees they'll tell you if you can get a refund or not.