Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incorrect character printing in Firefox

• Please log in to reply

Flag

Flag

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Since installing Firefox, printing has become a real issue. I have the latest and greatest driver updates for my printers and have never had any issues until I tried printing through FF. Non legible characters print that look like Chinese. I have read a couple other posts addressing this issue from a couple years back. I am new to FF and new to this forum. Was wondering if there is any resolve for this. I love FF and need to print shipping labels.

IE worked great for printing, and I have always used IE in the past. But started to experience more and more IE crashes and freeze ups. Since I have been using FF, my computer works great and the FF browser is flawless. (so far)

Thanks so much for the time and help !

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't have a solution, just suggestions.

1) Check FF's Character Encoding from the View>Character Encoding menu. Post what you were using, but try UTF-8.

2) Try printing after opening FF in its Safe Mode (NOT Windows Safe Mode). This should disable all add-ons, etc..

Flag

Flag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Major for the help !

Did perform your suggestions. My default loaded character encoding was the Western ISO thing.

I tried your suggestion and then even tried several other choices, all to no avail.

Also, printed in FF safe mode and same issue.

Do appreciate your help and effort. A handshake and hats off. I will probably just use IE when I need to
do some printing.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Well, I haven't any more ideas, but will ask around and see if someone will come up with something.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what version of FF are you using...
does any of it looks like those in the screenshot...

Edited by happyrock, 27 March 2009 - 08:17 AM.

Flag

Flag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Happy and YES, that is exactly what it looks like.

I have just started using FF as explained upstairs. I think the version is 3.0.7.

The printer is a Gestetner Copy/Printer machine hooked up through the wired network.

Seems my epson r280 is okay and it is hooked up USB-2.

So the Gestetner prints like your picture and epson prints okay.

Thanks for your interest.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
You can try updating the drivers for the Gestetner printer and if that doesn't work ... you will have to get a earlier version of FF...
try Firefox 2.0.0.20 (5.8 MB) is located here

Flag

Flag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Very cool. .... we'll give it a try.

Thanks again big time for the help !!

I'll let you know.