Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Re-Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello,

I recently decided that it was time to put a fresh install of windows xp onto my computer and realized that it was a pre-install and came with no disc. So, I did a google search and found these instructions for making my own cd from the I386 folder on my computer. I already have a valid key taped on to the side of my computer in case you were wondering. Anyways I followed all the steps created the cd fine, booted it and while it's loading the setup I get a BSoD error and the following message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage

Process1_Initialization_Failed

...(blah, blah (list all the possible things that can go wrong with a computer)...

STOP: 0x000006B(0xC000003A,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? I thought it might be missing drivers or other files but I'd like a second opinion before digging around for these.

Thanks

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You have missed something in one of the steps.
Hopefully, you did make a backup image.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
No, I've tried several times so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a step. As for the image, it doesn't get far enough to even edit anything.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

As for the image, it doesn't get far enough to even edit anything.

Explain this please.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Sorry for the late reply, got sidetracked on a different problem.

What I meant was the disk begins to load giving the illusion that it is working but before you get to the screen where you choose "Install, Repair, or Quit" it just fails. I'm thinking that the folder is just missing a key file though.

I looked up Dell and they're sending me a free replacement install cd so no more problems now.