Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply

tha dj

tha dj

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Sorry, I know I have the same topic in the Windows xp forum but I didn't knew how to move or delete that one and I guess here is more appropriate as I'm not receiving any answer there :)

Hi I'm Michel,

first of all thanks for your help.
I have a problem with my wireless connection to internet. the router is working just fine but the problem seems to be in my OS because each time I start the system or I reboot I have a message from sygate firewall saying that "System and Kernel NT" is trying to connect. I can say both allow or deny and the result is the same: my connection slows down.
even if the signal is maximum or very high I have a very slow connection.
Sometimes the "System and Kernel NT" doesn't pop-up and I have my normal speed but in these days I can't avoid it. it always start and I can't help it.

Do you know a solution or what could be the problem?

If useful:
I'm using Windows XP Home edition service pack 2 version 5.1.2600
my router is a "Hamlet router adsl2"

please ask for anything else. I'm not expert of this stuff as you may have noticed :)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Michel,

Certain firewalls can slow down your Internet connection. My advice would be to uninstall your Sygate Firewall and see if the issue persists. If it does not, then I think it would be safe to say that this is a firewall issue. If this is the case, then I would suggest that you use one of the firewalls recommended in this thread -- Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software (the firewall section is a fair way down the page -- so keep scrolling 'till you see it). If uninstalling the Sygate firewall didn't help, please let me know and we will look into this further.

Thanks,
- Dan

tha dj

tha dj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
thanks Dan! it turns out that you're completely right. I picked from your list Comodo firewall and running this intead of sygate solved the problem. :)

I didn't thought about the firewall coz I was using it way before the problem began but maybe it got updated and something changed.
well, doesn't really matter now. I see that Comodo is recommended from the community so I'm sure it's a good switch.

Thank you very much Dan!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You're welcome :) Glad to hear it was an easy fix :)

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how your issue(s) were resolved; feedback is always appreciated.
- Dan