Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! STOP: 0X000000ED Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm trying to get my daughters laptop (Dell Inspiron 1200) running again. It was running fine and then she suddenly got this message Stop 0x00000024 (0x81D3F030, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000) and the dreaded blue screen.

I've tried booting from the Dell operating system CD but to no avail.

First I got this message: File/i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7.

Then on my second attempt: File pci.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 5964 in d:/xpsprtm/base/boot/setup.c

I've also read through the sticky topic on the main page about STOP error messages but I can't seem to get past the blue screen to do anything that is advised.

Can anyone offer some help?

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Your issue looks a lot like This

Edited by isimaster, 24 March 2009 - 08:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello PippiTheSockGirl...

Try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool as outlined HERE. While this issue can also be caused by file of file system corrpuption, memory issues are another prime suspect and are fairly easy to check outside of Windows using the aforementioned diagnostic tool. There's a link to the tool in the guide.

wannabe1

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Wannabe1 - I downloaded and saved the memory Tool to a CD. It advised "Use the disk you create to boot the computer. The diagnostics will run automatically and will continue to do so until it is terminated. " The diagnostics did not run automatically een though I have the laptop set to boot from CD/DVD first. I still got to the same screen with th Unmountable Boot Volume error on it.

Isimaster - I will look into the link you sent.

Thank you both.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you create the disk just as shown in the tutorial? It's made differently than a data cd.

Sometimes you have to use the additional tool from the guide (ISO Recorder) in order to burn the disk image correctly.

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
First I created it with Deepburner. When that disk didnt work I created one with the program shown in the tutorial.

I followed these directons: "If your software doesn't support burning ISO Images or you do not have burning software installed, you can use a tool like ISO Recorder which will add a "Copy Image to CD" option to the right click context menu. You can simply right click on the saved image and choose that option...the burning tool will open."

That one didnt work either.

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hello PippiTheSockGirl...

Try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool as outlined HERE. While this issue can also be caused by file of file system corrpuption, memory issues are another prime suspect and are fairly easy to check outside of Windows using the aforementioned diagnostic tool. There's a link to the tool in the guide.

wannabe1

Okay, I figured out why this wasn't working. The laptop apparently wasn't set to boot from CD/DVD even though I thought I had set it. I fixed that and have now run this program for 2 hours. All passes successful no errors found.

Is there anything else I can try?

BTW - I recently installed a new memory stick in the laptop. All worke well for 3 weeks then this crash. I've tried removing the new memory but it doesn't help.

Edited by PippiTheSockGirl, 29 March 2009 - 10:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if setting the BIOS defaults will eliminate the problem. Boot into the BIOS setup. Most BIOS Setups use the F5 key to set the defaults (or fail safe defaults). You'll want to verify if this is the case with your version or if there may be an actual adjustment in the BIOS for this. In either case, save your settings (usually F10) when you exit and let the machine attempt a normal boot.

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, I set the BIOS to default settings and tried again. Still got the same blue screen and error message. Argh!

I see I an buy a new hard drive for about 60 bucks. Is that worth a shot?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try this:
1 - use the Dell OS CD to boot into the Recovery Console (at the first blue screen there'll be an entry that'll say something like "Press R to repair the computer using the Recovery Console"). It'll ask which drive you want to use (usually it's the first one), and it may ask for the Administrator password (try leaving it blank if you don't know it).

Once in the Recovery Console, type these commands, follow each by pressing Enter and answering "Y" for yes when it prompts you.

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Then try and boot into Windows.

The STOP 0xED error means that Windows can't mount the volume that has been designated as the Boot volume - the first 2 commands try to fix this.
The STOP 0x24 error means that it was a problem with the NTFS file system that stores the files on your disk. The chkdsk /r command will attempt to fix that.

If all that doesn't work, then you can download a bootable diagnostic from the website of your hard drive manufacturer to test the physical hard drive itself.

All in all, $60 is a small price to pay to save yourself the hassle of trying all these tests. A new hard drive will just require installation and then you'll have to reinstall Windows and all the drivers/applications that you need.

PippiTheSockGirl

PippiTheSockGirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Try this:
1 - use the Dell OS CD to boot into the Recovery Console (at the first blue screen there'll be an entry that'll say something like "Press R to repair the computer using the Recovery Console"). It'll ask which drive you want to use

I have read on other sites about this mysterious recovery console. But each time I try and boot from the CD I never see a blue screen with options. All I see is Windows Setup up in the top left of the screen and down at the bottom it says Windows is loading Kernel Debugger, etc... then blue screen again. I've tried pressing R when booting from CD but that does nothing.

Am I missing something here?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Since you don't get to the screen with the choice for the Recovery Console, then next thing to try is to download a bootable diagnostic from the website of your hard drive manufacturer to test the physical hard drive itself.

That runs outside of Windows, so it "should" be able to detect the hard drive (if it's not too badly damaged) and test it to see if it's the problem.