Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CRASH! :/ advice anyone?

• Please log in to reply

canskasapa

canskasapa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i got a 2nd hand dell inspiron that had windows 2000 on it, no boot disk, no original disks to recover from etc. i went to boot and was told that my /system32/ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt. is there an easy fix .. a download somewhere?

im totally clueless. i was thinking of switching to xp anyway so if i bought the full install of xp pro can i install it without first fixing this mess? i have a cd drive and the laptop has the option to boot from cd.

i really appreciate any help ....

thank you,

canskasapa

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo, Lets see what we have here and hopefully I can help you out.

i got a 2nd hand dell inspiron that had windows 2000 on it, no boot disk, no original disks to recover from etc. i went to boot and was told that my /system32/ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt. is there an easy fix .. a download somewhere?

What is the exact model of your computer

If you have a friend with win 2000 install CD we can fix this. That is why I need to know your model, so I can check for driver downloads, because with out drivers a new copy of windows will not help.

Otherwise a purchase of Windows is in the near future.

Ill be back and we will work further on from your next reply...
Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 28 March 2009 - 10:27 PM.

canskasapa

canskasapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
my bad... its a dell latitude c640 running windows 2000. i have put a copy of the file on a flash stick from another pc. i saw this while surfing http://www.user-guid...8-XP-66004.html.

supposedly it will allow me to access my files. with it wouldnt i be able to overwrite the file from one machine to the laptop, and then be able to reboot?

thanks for the help.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Yes I believe it will work if you have questions I will try to help you, just post back to this thread I will monitor it.

Good Luck
Cbarnard

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There shouldn't be any problem installing your new XP pro. The problem you have is the result of a corrupt operating system which will be deleted anyway when you format during the installation of XP.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard