Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to router after installing windows

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

I've install windows XP freshly on a new HD. Before installation I disconnected the network cable, then installed, installed SP3 (I had the SP3 inst. file ready), installed Avast + updates, installed Subnet firewall. Then shut the computer down, connected the cable, turned it back on.

Went to Network Connections and spent a very long time trying to create a Local Area Connection. Don't seem to even have this option. Th wizard keeps leading me through not so relevant options and..... I just don't know what to do.

Help would be greatly appreciated....
SOADA

Forgot to mention - I connect through a router that is always on, using a physical cable (ethernet they call it?).

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 25 March 2009 - 06:26 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I use my own customized console for that : )

In the mean time I've taken my old wireless out of the closet, installed it and installed all updates I could find, including drivers. But some it doesn't seem to be able to find on MS Updates:

There are two yellow question marks for:
1) Other PCI Bridge Device
2) SM Bus Controller

SOADA

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
And I've disabled my 1394 Net Adapter under Network Adapters.
Since I'm not sure what it does, I guess you can you could right it off to good old user superstition....

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I keep telling that to other people when I'm working on their computers - never throw away the disks that come with your hardware, always keep'em handy (it seems those are the first to be thrown away religiously when someone buys a new computer, I mean, they might keep old candywrappers for future reference, but not their system drivers). Yet when it comes to my own computer, I become stupid..... Anyways, I'm going to visit my mother today, and I think my motherboard's disks are there - my saving grace. If not it's the ole' "open the box, look at what's written on the MB and try finding the drivers online" routine, right?

: )

Sorry for having wasted your time, thanks for the help : )
SOADA

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pretty much..